Cleaning a shield nickel

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
Ok, I found a shield nickel the other day and want to be able to clean it in order to see what the date is. I notice that the shield nickel is 75 percent copper and only 25 percent nickel. Any suggestions? I thought about using the peroxide method. There is not a whole lot of detail left on the coin. Here are some pictures.

100_3923.jpg

100_3921.jpg

Attachments

• 100_3923.jpg
    100_3923.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 984
  • 100_3921.jpg
    100_3921.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 969

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would try that first.. If not working try instant mashed potatoes.. Check every hour..

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is one I cleaned. I put it in the rock tumbler with some aquarium gravel and water for two hours.
Then I soaked it in white vinegar and salt for one hour. After the soak I cleaned it with baking soda and water . Every coin is different so I can not guarantee results.
Hope yours cleans up nice. Merf

Attachments

• Shield Nickel 003.jpg
    Shield Nickel 003.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 1,020
  • Shield Nickel 002.jpg
    Shield Nickel 002.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 1,152

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would try the salt and white vinegar first...when it gets silvery colored, take it out of the solution and rub a little baking soda into the coin with your fingers--that will polish it up a bit, as well as stop the vinegar reaction. If that doesn't do it, try something else.

Regards,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
Baldingboy

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
BuckleBoy said:
I would try the salt and white vinegar first...when it gets silvery colored, take it out of the solution and rub a little baking soda into the coin with your fingers--that will polish it up a bit, as well as stop the vinegar reaction. If that doesn't do it, try something else.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Thanks Buckleboy....I may try the salt and white vinegar solution.

You stated that "when it gets silvery colored, take it out of the solution" . My concern is that this coin is said to be 75% copper, so will it turn silver colored? Is that the true color of the coin imparted to it by the 25% nickel that is in it? Any problems with the composition of this coin and this cleaning method that you know of? I know nothing is guarenteed...just want to do this right the first time. It is among the few of my better finds.

T

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Baldingboy said:
BuckleBoy said:

Regards,

Buckleboy

Thanks Buckleboy....I may try the salt and white vinegar solution.

You stated that "when it gets silvery colored, take it out of the solution" . My concern is that this coin is said to be 75% copper, so will it turn silver colored? Is that the true color of the coin imparted to it by the 25% nickel that is in it? Any problems with the composition of this coin and this cleaning method that you know of? I know nothing is guarenteed...just want to do this right the first time. It is among the few of my better finds.

T

If in doubt, I would say don't clean it. I don't remember right off the top of my head the composition of later nickels, but you should ALWAYS experiment first with any cleaning method on things that you won't be upset about if the method goes awry. I have tried the salt and vinegar, and I don't swear by it like I do peroxide for copper coins. Sometimes I like the results, and sometimes I don't. I do like using this method to be able to identify a nickel though.

-Buckleboy

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
Baldingboy,

Be VERY carefull with the salt & vinegar.
That solution will eat away copper, if left in too long :( :o

Timberwolf

RHoward

Mar 1, 2008
Martin City, Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett-GTA1000, Money Hunter BFO, Minelab E-Trac & Garrett Pro Pointer
This method takes awhile but does not harm the coin. Soak in olive oil for a couple weeks and then clean with soap, warm water and a tothbrush. Repeat if needed may even take a couple months.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I found this one a while back. Let me know how your results are before I try it on mine ! ;D

Attachments

• 2007_0102Image0003.JPG
    2007_0102Image0003.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 708
  • 2007_0102Image0005.JPG
    2007_0102Image0005.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 706

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Cleaning Buttons...Advice needed

The results are in!

Here are the results after about 30 minutes of 5 minute vinegar & salt treatments. I am not sure which is better.

Attachments

• DSCF1741.JPG
    DSCF1741.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 2,049
  • DSCF1740.JPG
    DSCF1740.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 2,076

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread