Cleaning advice - pennies turned dark brown. Help !

Trunkman

Oct 10, 2013
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought a rock tumbler and threw some modern pennies in there that I recently dug up. The pennies were pretty stained/dirty. I put in a couple of tablespoons of vinegar, 2 tablespoons of CLR, a half teaspoon of salt, a little Dawn, gravel and a quarter cup of water.

I checked the tumbler every half hour and the just kept getting darker until they became dark brown. I don't get it. I watched some videos, did what they did, but got terrible results. I then tried it with just gravel, salt and vinegar - no better. See pic.

Any advice on how to get these back to a copper color would be appreciated as well as tell me what I did wrong. Thanks.

Attachments

• dark pennies.jpg
    dark pennies.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 49

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may have stripped the copper off the pennies says my partner the chemist. (It's OK, they were just pennies.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We use Creme of Tarter to tumble crusty coins.
Throw in some pea gravel or aquarium gravel,
some water, and about a tablespoon of tarter.
You don't have to burp the tumbler either.
It should bring them back to copper color.

Only draw back, when doing silver color coins,
don't let even one penny get in there!
It'll turn them all dark and you'll have to tumble them again....
without the penny in there.

I usually get the big bottles of Creme of Tarter from Aldi around holiday time,
instead of the little bottles at the grocery store.
Hope that helps.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just bought a rock tumbler and threw some modern pennies in there that I recently dug up. The pennies were pretty stained/dirty. I put in a couple of tablespoons of vinegar, 2 tablespoons of CLR, a half teaspoon of salt, a little Dawn, gravel and a quarter cup of water.

I checked the tumbler every half hour and the just kept getting darker until they became dark brown. I don't get it. I watched some videos, did what they did, but got terrible results. I then tried it with just gravel, salt and vinegar - no better. See pic.

Any advice on how to get these back to a copper color would be appreciated as well as tell me what I did wrong. Thanks.

Try shaking them in some liquid bowl cleaner for a few minutes, then tumble them in soapy water for an hour. Also, use more gravel.

OP
OP
T

Trunkman

Oct 10, 2013
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the advice. I gave all of them a try and most of the discoloration is gone. They look for like pennies now. Off to the tax man!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see what looks like a token in there also the coin that says Sugar sand something. That was probably a different metal and could be what changed the color.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use dish soap and and aquarium gravel, works great.

OP
OP
T

Trunkman

Oct 10, 2013
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tumbled them with dawn, water and gravel only. Did this two more times and now they look pretty good. Thanks everyone!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread