Cleaning American Eagles

G

gossunc

20 years ago I bought 10 1986 American Eagle Silver Dollars...have kept them in a firebox for most of those years until this week when my wife told me I needed to get them out of there. I took a look at them and they are all severely tarnished--have been stored in the paper envelopes they were in when I bought them in 1986. I would like to clean these coins up and store them in something that can offer more protection.

Is there anyway at all to clean them without damaging them? I've read enough to know that most methods will damage the surface and not to clean anything valuable. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks,

Goose

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
If they're severely tarnished, you can buy coin dip. It works wonders, just don't leave them in too long, and hold them by the edge. Ammonia works on light tarnish. Electrolysis ought to work fine, too.

However you choose to clean them, make sure you don't rub them them with anything abrasive. Best to try not to rub them at all. Hold them by the edge always. Make sure you wash them off with water when finished, and let them air dry. Don't rub them with a cloth, but dab them gently. Make sure it's lint-free and soft---a jeweler's cloth preferably. When you store them again, keep them away from paper, envelopes, or paper towels. Avoid plastics unless they're free of PVC and especially designed for long-term coin storage. Using a dessicant, such as silica gel, will help keep them dry and clean, too.

Unfortunately, Silver American Eagles are not the easiest coin to clean if they're severely tarnished. Sometimes there is only so much you can do.

For what it's worth, most people who regularly buy and sell Silver American Eagles don't care about tarnish, since they're only buying them for the silver content. The 1996 Eagle is the only one that caries a significant premium to collectors.

I'm sure I missed a few things, but I'll chime in again if I remember or someone else doesn't mention them.

Good luck!

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
Oh yeah, bear in mind that cleaning a coin will damage it. Period. It's just a matter of how much damage, and how much you can live with.

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
I'm curious to see what they look like, can you scan them? I wouldn't even attempt to clean them, you stand to lose far more than you could ever gain IMO. Once a coin has been tarnished you can't ever really get that mint state back, you can clean them, dip them, do whatever and get them nice and shiny but I just don't think they look the same ever again and I question what some of the products out on the market will do to the coins over time after you've dipped them. If the "tarnish" looks more like "toning" (fine line between the two) you may have actually increased the value of them as some collectors really go after the rainbow toned coins and what not.. this holds true more so for the old silver dollars but it wouldn't surprise me to find collectors who seek the same thing with the eagles.

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
If the "tarnish" looks more like "toning" (fine line between the two) you may have actually increased the value of them as some collectors really go after the rainbow toned coins and what not.. this holds true more so for the old silver dollars but it wouldn't surprise me to find collectors who seek the same thing with the eagles.

Excellent point!

ford7379trucks

Greenie
Oct 14, 2007
these r the worst

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 380

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
Hmm...personally, I'd leave them alone. But if you want to try to clean them, go for it, just remember that cleaning coins = damaging coins.

I've seen Eagles that are completely black, but I still sold them without a hitch. Eagles are one of the most in-demand coins out there. Whether or not you decided to clean them, be happy in the knowledge that you have some great coins! :)

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
I agree, they don't look that bad... and you don't really stand to improve them much/any by cleaning... I would put them back in the safe and let well enough alone.. that's just me though.

nheikes

Jan 12, 2007
York Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
After reading your post I went and pulled my roll of 1986's out (only year I bought) They are in a thick plastic contanier. The 1st one had a little tarnish on the face but the second one looked like the day it was minted. I think there are alot of articles of do's and dont' of storing coins. I think a don't is in paper because of the sulfer content. But check it out. P.S. I like the pic's I would not even try to clen them.

Ned

Hunter

Dec 6, 2007
Chicago and Florida Keys
Detector(s) used
Matrix M-6, Bounty Hunter, Fisher CZ-21 and Pistol Probe Pinpointer.
Awhile back I had some rolls of 1955 P dimes BU that I wanted to sell, but were all tarnished. So I dipped theme inTarn-X and they were just like new. The coin dealer check them out and I sold them with no problem.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread