Cleaning Ancient Coins a Lesson in History, Physics for Freshman at Providence Hall

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
121712-Providencecoins-350.jpg After about a half-hour in the solution and some vigorous rubbing with olive oil, the coins were visibly “cleaner.” (Providence Hall photo)

Is the crusty material on an ancient Roman coin “old dirt” or “oxidized metal”?

In a lesson crossing the humanities and physics curricula, Providence Hall humanities teacher Bruce Rottman and science teacher Laura Schultheis recently team-taught freshman students a lesson about ancient Roman coins and using the principles of electrolysis to clean the coins.

Rottman began the class session with a lesson on the fall of Rome in 476 A.D., the resulting loss of millions of coins under layers of dirt, and the eventual recovery of those coins by modern-day treasure hunters.

Cleaning Ancient Coins a Lesson in History, Physics for Freshman at Providence Hall

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jason in Enid said:
Interesting article!

Indeed! I posted a few hours ago about a large US. Cent and cleaning and someone suggested using olive oil.

Missinglinkh

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2013
Pelham, Tn
Detector(s) used
White's MXT 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used a cleaner called "Magic Tumble Clean by Finch Products" to clean all my coins and finds. It works incredibility well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread