Cleaning Ancient Roman Coins

S

stefen

Need some advice on cleaning ancient roman coins...

I do n ot have the patients to wait for years while a coin soaks in olive oil or mineral water...I want immediate results.

And just to let you know, I am not in favor of using electralisis...I've seen it do too much damage...sot its not an option.

I have heard that using hydrogen peroxide works, as does soap and water.

Are there other cleaning agents or techniques that work fast....heard carpet (rug) cleaner is a possibility.

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
I have found that patience is a good thing to have when cleaning the Romans. I have had some luck with toilet bowl cleaner. It can clean them really quick. It can also destroy them really quick too!

Use nitrile gloves to handle the coins or you will find out real quick why the cleaner works.

I put the coin in a small plastic cup and cover it with a little cleaner. It will instantly start eating away at the organic crud. I ruined some coins by leaving them in way too long (a half an hour). I just leave them in for a minute or two at a time, each time taking them out and rinsing them quickly and brushing them with a tooth brush. Once I can see most of the details I stop and get it into the olive oil to give it a protective coating.

Some turn out great, but most don't. It is your choice, but give it a try and do some experimenting.

Good luck!

OP
OP
S

stefen

Thanks guys for the help...

Ashleen, I got so hung up on your venture that I almost forgot my problem... :icon_study:

Nuked some hydrogen peroxide and dropped a bunch of coins into it...the peroxide looked like a witches brew and gave a spectacular show as the surface changed dramatically for a few moments.

When dried, the coins took on a Verde appearance, however, I could feel a surface textural image but nothing was clearly visible under magnification...

Kinda like the Verde look, and not positive if car wax or olive oil is the final solution...

Wonder if it matters if the olive oil is virgin, extra virgin, or just run of the mill oil... ;D

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
stefen said:
Nuked some hydrogen peroxide and dropped a bunch of coins into it...the peroxide looked like a

So you decided against my vinegar + salt, eh ? lol can't say as I blame you. But it did clean mine up right nice!

OP
OP
S

stefen

Ashleen,

Haven't tried the salt & vinegar yet...

I picked up a batch of old roman coins (for the first time) that are perhaps the cruddiest chunks of bronze I have ever seen.

And actually, I want to clean the coins but not make them look like new...takes away from their value.

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen said:
Ashleen,

Haven't tried the salt & vinegar yet...

I picked up a batch of old roman coins (for the first time) that are perhaps the cruddiest chunks of bronze I have ever seen.

And actually, I want to clean the coins but not make them look like new...takes away from their value.
Drug store Hydrogen Peroxide is only 3%,and can work on some coins,,,,,but Try pool shock..........It has 27% Hydrogen Peroxide in it.......Do NOT Microwave it tho......That could be dangerous...
Also wear gloves cause it will burn an open cut,and turn skin white......It can blind you if splashed in your eyes.
...............Just let 2 or 3 coins soak for an hour,,,,,some need to soak for a week or so,and use a Q-Tip dipped in the solution to gently scrub the coin.....Rinse w/water and let soak another week,,,,ect, till you are satisfied.......Then let them soak in Olive oil a week or so.

aaron7

Aug 24, 2005
Townsend, MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
When it comes to Roman or Medieval coins... let's just say I've been yelled at by MANY collectors.

I like to enjoy my coins rather than have a pile of round rocks that I don't have the time or money to clean properly.

A drill press and a soft wire brush makes the coins look new in seconds!

DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU COLLECT FOR VALUE! This literally takes probably 90% of the coins value away.

And no, I don't do this to my US coins haha

Here's a batch of "uncleaned medieval coins" I bought off of ebay post cleaning:

DSC00102.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread