Cleaning beach silver

Shiftlngsands

Greenie
May 25, 2004
Oswego NY
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III
Tooth paste is good for cleaning silver take an old tooth brush and a little paste and scrub softly and it will shine up nice this may not work for heavy tarnished silver but give it a try nice and cheap with little clean up

kdoe

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2004
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On silver rings and coins that are not valuable, use Comet cleanser, it works great.

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A repost from one of my previous posts: Works good on silver.
Soak it in olive oil for a week or so. Go to a coin dealer and ask him value before you do any cleaning more than the olive oil. If it's not too valueable, I would try this. It is a relatively harmless cleaning method, although on V nickles, it tends to bring out the pits.
Put foil flat in the bottom of a flat plastic dish that can hold a pint or two of liquid. Make sure there are no creases in the foil. If there are do not lay your coin across this part. Lay coin on top of foil. Pour in boiling water on top of foil and coin to a depth of about 2-3". Add 3-4 teaspoons of "Arm and Hammer" Super Washing soda - available in any grocery store in the detergent section. It will bubble for a while. Let sit until cool. Pul coin out. Pat dry with clean cloth. Inspect it. Repeat with new foil, water and washing soda with the coin flipped to the other side. You can repeat this process as many times as it takes to get the crud off your coins. I have used it with old roman coins and it works great. Then post the pics of your clean coins. Don't mix metals when cleaning. ie: pennies with nicklles, etc. Try it with some of the coins you know are less valueable and then post the before and after pics. Good luck. This has worked great for me in the past and is one type of cleaning that will not harm your coins, even if you pour the washing soda right on top of the coin. Coinshooter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread