47.1 KB · Views: 679

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil, since no one has responded, ah, think maybe electrolysis would be worth a shot? I was thinking how some of the beach finds look and it might be worth a try to do a few short attempts with it.. Really do not know, but it might work.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Looks like some porosity also,
If the electrolysis doesn't Help Here is something else to try.
Anything you do to take the calcium off will undoubtedly remove any patina as well.
Pick out a really nasty one and try some lime away, or CLR on it.
It works with rusty 1943 Lincoln cents.

OD

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Neil, If electrolysis doesn't work as good as we hope it might you could try putting it in extra virgin olive oil. I have some Indian head pennies and old wheat's that were pretty bad and I left them in olive oil for about 3 or 4 months and they looked much better. It even brought out the date on a couple that was in real bad shape. I know that's a long time to wait, especially when you want to see exactly what it is and a date. It might pay off in the end though. I never thought about CLR. It does work good around the house. Is that an old colonial copper? Best of luck to you.

DANGLANGLEY

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Danglangly is right,
Olive oil Will straighten out a lot of problems with old coins.
I posted this info before.

If you use olive oil be sure to keep the container closed as it will over time turn to varnish.

When you place the coins in the oil be sure you are ready to do the whole job,
This thing takes time. I have some middleeastern things in olive oil that have been doing THE thing for several years...

Some of the old timers used to put an eyedropper of olive oil in coin tubes and then seal them off prior to storage. Yes folks .... some of us have been hoarding for longer than you think.

I have BU Bank Rolls of Lincoln cents that go clear back to 1950.

If the stuff makes varnish .... a quick rinse with acetone will remove it. not to worry.
When you wash and rinse a coin NEVER use anything that is an abrasive. NEVER rub the surface of the coin with your fingers or anything else that may carry something that will scratch the coin.
Always hold the coin by the edges and always be mindful of the fact that how you treat a coin will reflect how that coin will be valued later.

Other than that enjoy that guy, when it comes out of the oil bath It may very well be worth some serious bucks.

Good luck and let us know how it all turns out.

OD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread