Cleaning Canadian Coins

JimVT36

Jan 19, 2014
Vermont
Primary Interest:
Other
Good Evening All- I'm looking to tap into the wisdom of coin collectors and inquire on coin cleaning methods. I have a small mountain of Canadian coins that are badly corroded and therefore not useable. I'm guessing they were under water (Wishing pod or the like) for some time. (Pictures provided)I was wondering if any coin pros have a cleaning method that would restore these coins to spendable condition. Any advise or directions would be greatly appreciated.

Stay Safe and well out there

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Dirty 1.jpeg
    Dirty 1.jpeg
    514.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Dirty 2.jpeg
    Dirty 2.jpeg
    562.5 KB · Views: 83

SvenS

Oct 13, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Makro products, as well as others. Self built Mirage PI's. The Mirage is excellent in trashy sites, unlike many PI's.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 2017 Finds IQ.JPG
    2017 Finds IQ.JPG
    359 KB · Views: 64

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
^^^^^^Good cheap method. I use laundry detergent (lower foam) and a bit of vinegar to cut the crud. You do have to keep burping the drum to keep the lid from popping off, as the vinegar causes a slight chemical reaction and gas expansion. I would also separate anything copper from the rest of the steel/clad or it will all turn a bit pink in color.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I use the blue DAWN liquid soap, put in a Rx bottle, fill half way with coins, add a few drops of Dawn, hot water, shake, let stand a few days and shake every now and then, rinse with hot water, tap dry with soft towel. Works great on wheat cents, gets that oily film off coin.

Feb 19, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
^^^^^^Good cheap method. I use laundry detergent (lower foam) and a bit of vinegar to cut the crud. You do have to keep burping the drum to keep the lid from popping off, as the vinegar causes a slight chemical reaction and gas expansion. I would also separate anything copper from the rest of the steel/clad or it will all turn a bit pink in color.

Agree with you. I use the same method and it is working. And, yes, it costs a few dollars.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
And, yes, it costs a few dollars.

That's really the kicker, isn't it? You have coins you want to recondition for spending, not collecting. But the cost of buying the equipment for cleaning them likely costs more than the value of the coins. That's when I would probably try to modify the above methods to make it economically worth it. Like using a dilute solution of CLR in a bucket with some detergent, then using a stick to agitate them periodically for a few days, checking and removing coins that are back to spending conditions. If the goal is spendable coins, the threshold is a fairly low bar to meet.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you plan on having metal detecting as a regular hobby, the investment in some proper equipment will be worth the cost. A tumbler is fairly cheap and used ones can be found if you don't want to pay for a new one. White vinegar and laundry soap is also very inexpensive since you only use a dab in each batch. I've used CLR too, and it works great, but, it's much more expensive than the vinegar/soap method, and the outcome is about the same.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
If you plan on having metal detecting as a regular hobby, the investment in some proper equipment will be worth the cost. A tumbler is fairly cheap and used ones can be found if you don't want to pay for a new one. White vinegar and laundry soap is also very inexpensive since you only use a dab in each batch. I've used CLR too, and it works great, but, it's much more expensive than the vinegar/soap method, and the outcome is about the same.

CLR is expensive, but I usually pour it into a container to clean things like shower heads, and when finished pour the used CLR into a jar for reuse. It can be reused several times before it has ceases to work. But I agree that if something is going to be a regular hobby one should bite the bullet and purchase the equipment needed to make it worthwhile.

IN DA HOLE

Banned
Sep 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dump them at Tim Hortons on a few double doubles or pay your taxes with them, send them directly to trustin Justin.:laughing7:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread