Cleaning clad (best way how)

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The best way I found is using a tumbler with lemon juice an a couple tablespoons of salt. Put you nickels, dime, & quarters in the first batch, and just cover them with lemon juice and then add the salt. Tumble for about 30 minutes, and you can reuse the same concoction for the pennies. I save all my coins and roll them up throughout the season after they are tumbled. I make sure to put the shiny ones on the ends of the rolls and then deposit them into my hobby account. My hobby account is at a different bank than the family account and I have PayPal attached to it to aid in buying accessories or other hobby related items.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Exactly what Loco said. ⬆

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What Loco-Digger said! :icon_thumleft: I use the double tumbler from Harbor Freight! :headbang:

bravobob

Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can use vinegar in place of lemon juice. Cheaper.
The real nasty ones i feed to the coin star machine.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Same here as POE. HF dual canister. If you do buy one be sure to oil the bearings or it will not work for you. Mine quit spinning after 15 minutes and i fiddled with the belt then as a last resort oiled the ends of the shafts and presto.

I just use water and a squirt of dish soap with aquarium gravel. Seems to do the job.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
My financial institutions will not take rolled coin. My credit union has a nice fast counter to use at no charge to me.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also tumble the "Clad" dimes and quarters in a rock tumbler, I cover the coins with lemon juice, with two teaspoons of salt, tumble about two hours, and rinse. Nickels I run by themselves, same way. I found that the copper edge from the clad coins will often turn the nickels a pink. Don't know why, the "Clad" coin's are Nickel/copper, but that's just what happens. Learned the hard way with a couple of Buffalo nickels.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a cheapo tumbler, Dawn dish soap and water, tumble for a hour or so and call it good, takes dirt off but still dark from tarnish.

Im going to try the lemon juice and salt trick next time though

haxor

Aug 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just leave in pockets when doing laundry; multitask!

Dennis1209

Dec 23, 2018
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Etrac & NOX 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like many others I use a rock tumbler with some plastic aquarium gravel, a couple drops of Dawn and a pinch or baking soda to keep the gas pressure down in the barrel. After 4-6 hours they usually come out pretty nice and spendable. The Zincons I find I usually toss for obvious reasons. The Coinstar's and bank change counters hate those zincons that came out of the ground. If they want to debase and devalue our coinage any further they will have to go to plastic or wood.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a cheapo tumbler, Dawn dish soap and water, tumble for a hour or so and call it good, takes dirt off but still dark from tarnish.

Im going to try the lemon juice and salt trick next time though

Toecutter, I will also add that I will tumble about 100 dimes in the barrel, and about 50 quarters in another. Of course the clad quarters and dimes can be tumbled together, but I don't exceed 100, they need room to move. I use just enough lemon juice to cover the coins, two teaspoons of salt, and of course the rock stuff. For me about two hours works really well. I picked this up right here on treasure net, I used other stuff before, but they still came out brown, clean, but brown. Now?, clean but with shine. I DO NOT do the same with penny's, it would seem as though I was making a bomb or something, the mix of lemon juice, salt, copper with a little zinc, well, the barrel swelled up like a large softball ready to explode, caught it in time, took it outside, and when I loosened the top? I looked like some kind of cartoon going on. Don't do that.

Dennis1209

Dec 23, 2018
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Etrac & NOX 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Toecutter, I will also add that I will tumble about 100 dimes in the barrel, and about 50 quarters in another. Of course the clad quarters and dimes can be tumbled together, but I don't exceed 100, they need room to move. I use just enough lemon juice to cover the coins, two teaspoons of salt, and of course the rock stuff. For me about two hours works really well. I picked this up right here on treasure net, I used other stuff before, but they still came out brown, clean, but brown. Now?, clean but with shine. I DO NOT do the same with penny's, it would seem as though I was making a bomb or something, the mix of lemon juice, salt, copper with a little zinc, well, the barrel swelled up like a large softball ready to explode, caught it in time, took it outside, and when I loosened the top? I looked like some kind of cartoon going on. Don't do that.

Hence the "baking soda". Been there done that :laughing7:

OP
OP
holepuncher

holepuncher

Oct 5, 2014
Amboy Wa.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro. Equinox.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info. Guess I’ll give it a shot and see what happens.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread