cleaning clad??

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
I take some salt and vinegar and shake the clad in it for 10-15 mins. This will get most of the crud off.
A wire wheel will then make them shiny again, if you want.
Works for me.
If you don't want to do the work, a vending machine takes dirty clad and gives clean clad ;D
HH,
Donny

bedpanmoneyman

Jun 17, 2007
Lebanon, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
An inexpensive rock tumble.....some play sand, a little water and a couple of drops of dish washing liquid and about 90 minutes of tumbling will get the job done.

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
I have a plastic coffee "can". Put em all in there with a tiny bit of dishsoap and a couple squares of scrungy pads and shake, shake, shake.

It gets all the grunge off but doesn't turn em back to looking new.

Personally, I can't be bothered with trying to go that far. As long as they will go through the coinstar machine if I ever cash em in, that's good enough for me I guess. Good luck with it and happy holidays!

BDoo :)

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I tumble mine with the following recipe. Hope it helps.

Aquarium gravel (found at your local pet store)
Fine sand (I found mine at the local craft store)
tap water
3 drops of dish soap
1 splash of ammonia.

I initally tumble for 30 - 45 minutes. Most of the time, everything looks great. The real cruddy/corroded ones get thrown back for a second spin. The second spin usually cleans them enough to give to a bank.

Hope it helps.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hate to answer a question with a question, but why do you want to clean your clad? I have found that coinstar machines will take coints in about any condition except bent or jagged edged. Surface discoloration doesn't seem to be an issue, so no need to pretty it up before cashing in.

WheatbackDigger

Jul 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Beachbling said:
Hate to answer a question with a question, but why do you want to clean your clad? I have found that coinstar machines will take coints in about any condition except bent or jagged edged. Surface discoloration doesn't seem to be an issue, so no need to pretty it up before cashing in.

So why do you fill your holes? You won't be stepping in the hole and breaking your leg, let it be the next guy's problem. It's called be responsible. If you are willing to dig clad, clean it for the next person to spend it. Its not a good reflection on the hobby.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I clean my clad because when you accrue a 3 lb coffee can full it starts to stink and is really crappy to handle. Yup, vinegar and salt does a good job. I then rinse in Dawn and warm water and spread it out to dry to get rid of the vinegar smell. Monty

dfxone

Dec 12, 2005
ventura, ca.
Detector(s) used
whites DFX, Sovereign GT
Forum members, when using a single barrel tumbler what ratio of salt do you use with the white distilled vinegar ? Pinch, teaspoon, tablespoon ? How long do you tumble clad coins to be presentable for use ? Thanks for any replies to this question. GH, Don

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Tablespoon per cup

That is what my wife suggests for cleaning,
From what I have seen it works awesome on copper wet the surface with vinegar and add the salt in a sprinkle over the copper ...
a chemical reaction takes place and in a whiz bang the copper just turns red!
I have seen the wife spread it around with a sponge on the bottom of a copper pot and it takes all the tarnish off , and it does the job NOW!

Just telling you what she says...

OD

oldhermit34

Jun 21, 2007
columbus, ohio
Detector(s) used
whites prizm 50
I've had luck buy putting a single coin in a sock and put it in the washing machine with the laundry, (hot or cold), seems to clean them up pretty well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread