cleaning coins

OnionRings

Dec 15, 2004
Denver, Colorado
If it's modern clad you can use a rock tumbler with lemon jucie and vinager and small rocks to clean your coins.

I have cleaned almost $1100.00 dollars this year using this method and it works great!

Onion

Deepseeker

Dec 29, 2004
Green Bay, WI
The eaiest is a rock tumbler, HOT water, dish soap and aquarium gravel. Let it run for 2 hours. Have never had a bank turn one away. I wrote an article in W&E Treasures on this a while back.

S

Souvaman

onionhead said:
If it's modern clad you can use a rock tumbler with lemon jucie and vinager and small rocks to clean your coins.

I have cleaned almost $1100.00 dollars this year using this method and it works great!

Onion

Onionhead - do you use specific quantities of lemon juice and vinegar for your rock tumbler?

S

Souvaman

Thanks for all the tips. I'll give it a try tonight. My daughter and I are off to dig some treasure!

Souvaman

OnionRings

Dec 15, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I forgot to mention this.

I don't clean pennys this way I find it's to costly and don't mix penny's with clad all your coins will turn red I learned this the hard way.

I put all my pennys in olive oil and let them soak for months then I get an old pot and remove the oil and boil them in water.

Then I take them to the coin star they take ten cents for every dollar but I find it less time consuming then tring to clean them in a rock tumbler and rolling them.

Onion ?

GunFarce

Dec 26, 2004
Innisfil On Canada
I havn't tired cleaning coins yet (just got my detector for xmas, I'm in Canada and the ground is a tad hard right now) But I built a simple unit for cleaning brass casings (I reload about 10-15,000 .40 cal pistol loads each year).. and it should work fine for just about anything.. A five gallon plastic home depot bucket, with a vibrator scavanged from an old lazyboy chair bolted to the bottom.. I hang the bucket from a nail in the side of my workbench, throw in a mixture of ground up corn cob and crushed walnut shells 25/75 (both available from petstores 'high priced littler'). It takes about three hours to clean up the shooting brass.. It's simple, cheap, effective.. Can't see any reason it would not clean coins or what ever as well...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread