CLEANING COINS?

electrician270

Tenderfoot
May 20, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone give me some advice on cleaning coins. I know its best not to use anything abrasive but sometimes (most of the time) coins have so much crud I cant think of a non abrasive way? I have seen some videos where some people use a tumbler and pea gravel and some where people use vinegar. I was wondering if sand would work in a tumbler, or maybe crushed corn cob? Sorry if I sound crazy and I hear people say not to damage a rare find, but if you cant identify it from the crud built up on it from its unknown length of time spent underground what do you do? PS: I have tried a sonic jewelry cleaner too but it doesnt work for the real cruddy stuff. Any and all techniques, suggestions,and words of advice would be GREATLY APPRECIATED because I dont want to mess up a real gem should I ever be lucky enough to find one! Thanks in advance and Best Of Luck detecting ladies and gentleman!

Upvote 0

DigginDownUnder

May 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just give a gentle soak in warm soapy water for 10 mins, and gently rub the dirt of with my fingers under the running water. I then soak them in pure olive oil for several days.

With silver coins I juice a lemon, add an iron nail, and soak the coin for 30 seconds to a couple of minutes, depending on the condition.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can anyone give me some advice on cleaning coins. I know its best not to use anything abrasive but sometimes (most of the time) coins have so much crud I cant think of a non abrasive way? I have seen some videos where some people use a tumbler and pea gravel and some where people use vinegar. I was wondering if sand would work in a tumbler, or maybe crushed corn cob? Sorry if I sound crazy and I hear people say not to damage a rare find, but if you cant identify it from the crud built up on it from its unknown length of time spent underground what do you do? PS: I have tried a sonic jewelry cleaner too but it doesnt work for the real cruddy stuff. Any and all techniques, suggestions,and words of advice would be GREATLY APPRECIATED because I dont want to mess up a real gem should I ever be lucky enough to find one! Thanks in advance and Best Of Luck detecting ladies and gentleman!

If it's that full of crud a rare coin will likely be trashed environmentally anyway. You can tumble them with fish tank gravel and a little dawn to get most of the crud off to roll them or send then through a coin star machine. You can try hot peroxide or olive oil on the old coppers. If they are real bad and you remove the patina you usually end up with a blank copper disk. Tumble copper separate from the clad. Silver usually come out of the hole looking nice and shiny unless your salt water hunting.

DigginDownUnder

May 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes you need to clean silver.
I pulled this silver coin, it was clean and a nice silver colour.
image.jpg
within half an hour it turned into this, I believe from being in low oxygen soil for 100+ years.
image.jpg
One minute in lemon juice brought it back to this.
image.jpg

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, there is ZERO problem with cleaning 99% of coins. You only need to be careful with those key and semi-key date coins. If it's so trashed that you can't even see the date, you are losing nothing by trying to clean it however you wish.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread