Cleaning old coins

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
finderkeeperjeff said:
I am new so I am sure this has come up but I could use some help. How do I go about cleaningold coin after digging them up? I have an old copper. 1794 large capped cent. Thanks in advance. Jeff
You're going to get a lot of advice about cleaning older copper coins, but some of the best has to be to avoid cleaning coins altogether. It can really hurt the value of them overall.

Can you post a picture? Maybe someone can give you some advice on how to clean it safely to help bring out some of the details.

OP
OP
F
Sep 12, 2008
Thanks for the info. I have to figure out how to add and send the pic and all. The details on the coin (when dampened for contrast) are very clear, otherwise they are very hard to see. The staff and hat as well as the date are very sharp edged. However I cannot see anything on the back or edge of the coin and the edge also has some nicks.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
finderkeeperjeff said:
Thanks for the info. I have to figure out how to add and send the pic and all. The details on the coin (when dampened for contrast) are very clear, otherwise they are very hard to see. The staff and hat as well as the date are very sharp edged. However I cannot see anything on the back or edge of the coin and the edge also has some nicks.
A good rule of thumb is that if you can identify the coin, then it really doesn't need to be cleaned further, but if the coin isn't valuable becasue of the condition and you aren't planning on selling it, then clean away! It yours to do with as you see fit.

It sounds like yours is pretty worn, so taking a soft toothbrush and some liquid soap to it would probably do more good than harm, and there's a hydrogen peroxide method of cleaning that a lot of folks here swear by, so you might want to check into that. I wish I could tell you how to do it, but I've never tried it myself.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is important to get dirt off an old copper, to dry it thoroughly and to protect the coin from further corrosive damage.
Also, since your 1794 Large Cent is one of about 60 varieties for that year, they vary from Very Common to Very Rare. With the Very Rare having value even when it is a worn corroded ground found in some cases.

So, cleaning to the best of your ability is important to help bring out the minute details that can determine the variety of your coin, and even if no thoughts ever of selling, it is always nice to know which variety you have. If after cleaning the coin is not too bad, a posted photo could result in determining the variety, but not always, depends on the wear factor in many cases.

Attached is a photo of one of my 1794 Large Cents that it shown Before cleaning and after cleaning and preservation, it is not the best in shape corrosion wise, the Obverse is coated much more than the Reverse, but at least I was able to identify the variety as a S-55 (a Scarce variety) and it is a nice addition to my collection.

Not all coppers need cleaning, but most do to at minimum get the corrosive, acidic or alkaline dirt away from the metal, soak the coin in distilled water for hours up to a day if needed, then thoroughly dry the coin before applying a preservative (if needed) to stop further corrosion while the coin is stored.

I am also attaching a 1796 Liberty Cap Large Cent photo, and this coin required no cleaning or preservation, it was found in clean white sand with no organic matter to cause corrosion. But that is the exception to the rule.

Here is my post on cleaning Large Cents (coppers) the 3 post down are the procedures, PRACTICE on a button or more common ground found copper first, highly recommended to do so. I have done hundreds of coppers with this method, I used to use Olive Oil and regret it to this day, especially for my buttons.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,39135.0.html

Don

Attachments

• 1794S55.jpg
    1794S55.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 3,204
  • 1796S-84.jpg
    1796S-84.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 866
  • 1794S55.jpg
    1794S55.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 890
  • 1796S-84.jpg
    1796S-84.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 701
OP
OP
F
Sep 12, 2008
Thanks for the help. I am going to try the peroxide. The coins detail looks very sharp around the bust, date and staff and cap, just loaded with green gunk on top of it all. I cannot decipher the back though. Wish me luck. :thumbsup:

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Welcome to Tnet! I look forward to some pictures of that spectacular find. I would have to agree with sending it off to be cleaned, preserved and slabbed. But then again, my oldest coin is 1942, so I have never had anything close to being worthy of such.

OP
OP
F
Sep 12, 2008
Thanks guys. I will look into having it professionaly cleaned and slabbed. X-Terra70 can you let me know how to get ahold of NGC. Also does it make a difference if it is cleaned by a pro? Will it retain it's value if it is done correctly or does it kill the value but ensure a great cleaning? Thanks ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread