Cleaning out Kansas City, MO! - Halves road trips

mentalvirus

Aug 7, 2011
Iā€™m a field engineer (mechanical & aerospace) so I do a lot of travel and work onsite. The last three days I have only worked about a half day and left because nothing was happening. Whatā€™s nice is Iā€™m paid for a min of 8hrs/day no matter what. So I have spent the last three 1/2 days driving around in my rental car to banks that I had plotted out in Streets & Trips and my GPS. I have actually avoided ā€˜mostā€™ of the city banks and tried to hit all the little country town banks in Kansas and Missouri with in about a 50 mile radius of MCI. I was really out in the sticks with some of these. I ended up hitting about 38 banks and acquired around $400 in halves and was offered 6 Ikeā€™s at one bank. I hit silver at about 5 banks with the vast majority at 2-3 banks. I only had two banks refuse me b/c I wasnā€™t a member, none of the others even asked. One of the 2 really good banks actually gave me the halves from the coin dump machine in the front. $159 in halves produced 10 ā€“ 40% and the Franklin! Wish I had a bank like this anywhere near my home, I would be in tight and getting everything they get in.

The take:

6 ā€“ Ikeā€™s Dollars
1 ā€“ Franklin
33 ā€“ 40% Kennedyā€™s

The problem is burning through the rest of the halves that I donā€™t want to fly back home with! I have been using them for lunch, dinner, gas, soda and anything else I can think of which I will get reimbursed for. I should be able to burn through most of them before I leave KC. I may hit some actually in the city if I get more time but Iā€™m not to worried about at this point.

Iā€™m pretty happy with that pull especially since I was getting paid to do it and not using my car/gas. Sorry to anyone who might be in the KC area, itā€™s pretty cleaned out right now lol. My small digital just stopped working so all I have is a very poor cell phone shot. You would think the crackberry could do a little better no? My wife has been picking up boxes at home while I'm gone, should have about $5K waiting for me when I get home...when ever that is. :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• Kansas City Coins.jpg
    Kansas City Coins.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 447
Upvote 0

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey stop hunting where I am :laughing9:

Actually, I'm probably a bit further away from where you are hunting, plus in the towns around me I've already cleaned them out of halves... So.... :tongue3:

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Why did you skip the city banks? I hit them ALL, big and little, cause ya just never know what they may have sitting there.

OP
OP
M

mentalvirus

Aug 7, 2011
weighit said:
Why did you skip the city banks? I hit them ALL, big and little, cause ya just never know what they may have sitting there.

That is def true but I also have in my head that I wanted to try and hit the banks out in the middle of nowhere thinking I'm more likely to run into a bunch of dumps in the city and I can't handle that while on the road. I also had the time to go 60 miles out and do a loop. I figure if I want I can still hit the city banks and it would take a lot less time. I never know when or how much time I will have.

As a side note, I have to dump as much of the approx 400$ of halves I have acquired here so I'm spending them on everything I buy. People here seem to LOVE them, like they just won a prize lol.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
mentalvirus said:
As a side note, I have to dump as much of the approx 400$ of halves I have acquired here so I'm spending them on everything I buy. People here seem to LOVE them, like they just won a prize lol.

I spend a bunch of halves at retail, and people do love to get them!

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
Mental,

You are close to my home turf! That's allright, I'll share. I travel a lot for work and get at least half of my finds on the road too.

Boxes haven't been that great here in MO, but teller tray finds are still pretty productive. I do get some silver from boxes just nothing like when I was back East. Of course, it could have slowed down there as well, who knows...

Dimes and nickels have been very good to me here though.

Great haul, congrats!

:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
M

mentalvirus

Aug 7, 2011
Numismaniac said:
Mental,

You are close to my home turf! That's allright, I'll share. I travel a lot for work and get at least half of my finds on the road too.

Boxes haven't been that great here in MO, but teller tray finds are still pretty productive. I do get some silver from boxes just nothing like when I was back East. Of course, it could have slowed down there as well, who knows...

Dimes and nickels have been very good to me here though.

Great haul, congrats!

:icon_thumright:

haha thanks! I don't think I'll be hitting much more here though. I did stop at about 5 that are more in the city on Saturday. $17.50 collected and all skunks. There is definitely some competition here though. 3 of the banks said there are people asking for them a lot and they never keep any that come in for long. One bank said that a guy comes in for his business every day and takes ANYTHING interesting, including halves and ike's etc. Another offered to order me boxes :laughing9: and said that they have two people that they order for every week. I might be here long enough to actually get them but I have enough to dump before I'm out of here later this week so I passed. I might try a couple close ones if I get the chance though, can't help myself. I do know a couple I'll be checking on again when I'm back though, I usually end up out there a couple times a year...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions