Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to put the ctx in shower with me and clean it up. Sand gets all in between the composite fiber shaft and main housing. I slide it apart like you and changing coil to flush water down from the top while gently sliding lower rod up and down! After everything dries gently remove the battery oring with compressed air and blow out groove. Clean oring and pat dry. Do not use oring lube on this seal because it attracts sand particles that cause microscopic cuts to seal (per white papers from Minelab)This is the root cause of many of the failures with the ctx.

The Sand shark is much tougher and a much better choice for rough and tough saltwater hunting IMO.

Last edited:

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I run mine under the faucet at the beach and then throw it in my truck. I did however do the o-ring mods. I just can't trust nor want to maintain that silly orange wanna be "O-ring".

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to put the ctx in shower with me and clean it up. Sand gets all in between the composite fiber shaft and main housing. I slide it apart like you and changing coil to flush water down from the top while gently sliding lower rod up and down! After everything dries gently remove the battery oring with compressed air and blow out groove. Clean oring and pat dry. Do not use oring lube on this seal because it attracts sand particles that cause microscopic cuts to seal (per white papers from Minelab)This is the root cause of many of the failures with the ctx.

The Sand shark is much tougher and a much better choice for rough and tough saltwater hunting IMO.

Damn Fletch, I've slept with my CTX but I've never showered with it. :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7: Dude, thanks for making me laugh. I needed that:headbang:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've showered with my excals...👍

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fletch88 gave you good advice. The shafts should be well cleaned or you get a lot of sand wear on the rod and shaft lock.

Wayne

Metal Detecting Stuff

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And let me tell you it doesn't take much sand to Lock that Shaft up. I wrestled with it at the beach for over 15 mins to get it sliding again.

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I break mine down and hose out the inside of each carbon fiber. Use a lot. Then take cover off once a weekend. Rinse entire outside good. Brush once a while. Main thing is to rinse sand to prevent shaft from freezing and rinse salt off. Don't skip a hunt. It takes 5 minutes. It will extend the life of your machine. Also using different gasket. Hh gl-Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread