M

Mike RB.

May 27, 2013
Dodge City, Ks
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, the ones I put into a wrapper and turn into the bank...I like to have them somewhat clean or the bank won't take 'em.

thebiggerdigger

Greenie
Jul 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a couple coffee cans full of pennies and clad coins I've found from detecting. After I recover a target I always wipe away the excess dirt but still most of my coins are pretty much covered with dirt, mud and whatever else and those zinc pennies are about worthless. What method do you guys use to clean your pennies and clad coins?

I use part vinegar part water plus fish tank gravel. I put all my pennies in an old plastic container that has a twist top and filled it with all the ingredients I mentioned. Then I just shook the container back and forth for about 10 to 15 minutes. Coins came put clean for the most part. Def clean enough for the bank. Just don't mix silver coins with pennies. It will ruin the silver finish.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a tumbler with water, dish soap and aquarium gravel and tumble for a few hours. DO NOT MIX PENNIES WITH SILVER CLAD or all the coins will look like copper.
luvsdux

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I fill my coffee can up with water shake it around and let set for a day or two. I then dump the coins in a colander and rinse off with a garden hose, do that several times over a period of a couple weeks and they turn out pretty good. Makes them a lot easier to sort for final cleaning in a tumbler.

Spend your corroded pennies at fast food drive troughs, they always take them.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only clean the clad good enough for them to go through a CoinStar or to spend. Rock tumbler with a tablespoon or so of powdered laundry soap, vinegar, and aquarium gravel for a couple of hours usually does the trick. There is a slight chemical reaction with this formula so you may have to shake the drum and burp it before you walk away to do other things or it might pop open and make a mess. As mentioned, don't mix copper with the "silver" clad unless you want them to turn pink.

Agent Green

Jul 19, 2013
Midwest
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Tesoro Silver Umax,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clean clad with gravel, vinegar and coarse salt... 20 mins in the tumbler, repeat if needed.. works great.

James/Texas

Mar 6, 2008
Edinburg, Texas
Detector(s) used
Many. A lot. Whole bunch. Several.
spede777 cleaning method is the best. White vinegar and coarse salt is the best way I have found to clean clad. Tumble for around one hour. Aquarium gravel can be used but really not necessary. Be sure to 'burp' the barrel a couple of times as pressure from the built up gasses can cause the lid to blow off. I set my tumbler on a 2x4 set inside a used roasting pan just in case the lid blows. That has saved a mess several times. A Thumbler Tumbler or a Latorne will last for years. Stay away from 'Harbor u know where' tumblers. I had two and they were junk.

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually tumble my clad all together with a little dishsoap and pea gravel for about a day. That way they are good enough to spend/roll. Don't really care if the dimes and quarters get a copperish color

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A day? Really? If I did that with some of the zinc cents I've found, there would nothing left of them after a day in the tumbler!

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A day? Really? If I did that with some of the zinc cents I've found, there would nothing left of them after a day in the tumbler!

yeah some of the zincoln's don't like that, but they are usually pretty rough before they go in, not a great loss if I destroy them. I only tumble the pretty grungy clad like once a year and then mix it in with some rolled coin.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my tumbler at Harbor Freight 3 yrs ago and it is still going strong. Fill tumbler 1/3 full with gravel fill 1nother 1/3 way with coins fill with water just above the coins and add 3 drops of dish soap. Tumble for a hour or two take out side and hose off let dry and you are good to spent your coins

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OR.. you could all stop overthinking the whole clean your clad nonsense, and wrap them up, deposit them in the bank.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread