Clegg Mine?

claydog65

Feb 16, 2008
Hello everyone,

I came across a note concerning the Clegg mine in Sanford, NC while I was surfing the net for NC gold info. The location/mine was noted as holding minerals, no mention of gold. What made my heart skip a beat was the fact that I had been within a few hundred yards of the mine as a child back in the 1970's and never knew it.
The web info I found said the mine was located near the Deep River School (this is where my late grandmother used to be an elementary school librarian.) The info also noted the mine as being behind the Flat Springs Baptist church. This same church is where my grandparents took me to Bible school and where they are now both buried in the church graveyard.
As a child, I remember signage at the tree line behind the church. The signs once read " Danger/Dynamite/Blasting." If some of you older 40 somethings may recall, back in the 1970's, there were television messages warning kids to stay away from such areas and to not pick up blasting "caps". For this reason, my parents would never let me venture past the tree line.
Does anyone know more about this mine? Has anyone every been inside it?
I still have relatives that attend Flat Springs Baptist Church, and they do not remember anything about it. You can bet the next time I visit Sanford, I will be snooping around behind the church. I will keep you updated if I find out more on the Clegg Mine.
Thanks everyone,
Claydog65

Sandpit

Jan 28, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Nautilus 2Ba & Tejon
Sorry to inform you but the Clegg mine is located on the Copper mine Rd. in Deep River and was a shaft mine which has been filled in and capped with concrete to eliminate any hazards to the public. SandpitNC

OP
OP
C

claydog65

Feb 16, 2008
Thank you sandpit! I was hoping there was still an open hole, I appreciate the info on Clegg mine being closed.
Claydog65

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread