🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you SO much for posting this. 

Can I ask a few questions?

First, I'd love to see a photo of the back--but only if the attachments or solder marks are still there.

How did you arrive at the militia plate ID?  The reason I ask is because my buddy found similar, although square plate, which like yours had holes in the face of it, and was found at a house site as well (the same as this plate).

Do the holes look manufactured or added at a later date?

Very Cool Find!

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find Dman. Is there any markings on the plate at all besides the 2 holes ??? Copper or brass ??? Never seen one before that's why I am bugging you for answers..... if you know :icon_sunny:

wyattrr

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Relic...I have to agree with Buckles though...How did you know that's a militia plate?? Do you have a picture of the other side? I ask because that resembles a plate from a horse's saddle bag.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Thank you SO much for posting this.

Can I ask a few questions?

First, I'd love to see a photo of the back--but only if the attachments or solder marks are still there.

How did you arrive at the militia plate ID? The reason I ask is because my buddy found similar, although square plate, which like yours had holes in the face of it, and was found at a house site as well (the same as this plate).

Do the holes look manufactured or added at a later date?

Very Cool Find!
BB, Dman is busy in his store today and asked me to reply to you and the other Tnet members. Dman found this thin brass plate while coin searching an old home. He almost threw it way but remembered what I told him-Do not throw anything away until someone looks at it. He called me, described the plate, and gave me the measurements. I had seen them before in my relic books. I found a similar plate in "American Military Belt Plates" with a date of 1850-60. The holes look like they were punched when the plate was made before the CW. They held a device -probably a company or regimental letter. On our next trip to visit Middle Tennessee Civil War Relics in Murfreesboro, Larry Hicklen looked at the plate. He said it was indeed a pre war militia plate and was probably worn as a shoulder plate. He stated it was a great find. As I recall, it has faint solder marks on the back but Dman can take it from here and reply later. Hope this answers your questions. I would guess that many of these plates are discarded by relic hunters. I dug a CS militia plate near the Battle of Hartsville surrender site a few years ago and almost tossed it until I saw the green solder marks on the back. That was my first CS buckle and was verified as such. If you see the green solder marks on the back of any kind of thin brass plate-SAVE IT!!! HH.

PA

Mar 18, 2009
hi dman,

i like the plate. keith found 2 last year. go get more now. :thumbsup:

henry

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Dman

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
crazyjarhead said:
Nice find Dman. Is there any markings on the plate at all besides the 2 holes ??? Copper or brass ??? Never seen one before that's why I am bugging you for answers..... if you know :icon_sunny:
There are no markings on the plate just the two holes. The holes were for attaching the company letter or number. It is made out of brass.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dman said:
crazyjarhead said:
There are no markings on the plate just the two holes. The holes were for attaching the company letter or number. It is made out of brass.

Darn. I was trying to ID the plate that my buddy rodeo recon found on the hunt before last. His has the holes, but the size of the tongue is wrong. :-\

Thank you so very much for your help.

Regards,

Buckles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread