Clive Clynick's book on Equinox detectors

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have mentioned this 111 page book titled "The Minelab Equinox Series - From Beginner to Advanced" in some replies to other Equinox related posts. Here I will give you my take on the book.

First about me. I have used the great AT Pro for about three years and have been metal detecting since 1988 off and on starting with hunting gold in north GA using a Fisher Gold bug. But being an off and on detectorist does not put me in the same ranks of the pros on these forums that hunt often on a monthly basis or more.

I considered myself an average hobbyist going out about once a week looking for coins and relics in suburban Atlanta area (not an area rich with old coins).

The AT Pro was probably one of the best mid price range detector ever manufactured. Now it is the Equinox's turn.

Now to the book. I was overwhelmed the first couple of weeks trying to learn my Equinox 800. At first I really thought my 800 was defective because it was so, so very chatty since I hunted trashy parks and was where I practiced. I saw on the forums many people having problems learning the Equinox detectors and yet at the same time the more experienced hunters were having good successes with the machines.

I saw a few posts about Clynick's book and decided that was the book for me. And it was. It is not another general 101 detecting book with just a few pages devoted to the Equinox detectors. It is all about the 600 and 800. With that being said the 800 users will find the coverage of the 800's advanced features and settings a bonus.

Even still there are parts of his book you will have to read several times, at least I did.

The author has written quite a few books on metal detecting so he was able to crank this good book out in record time via self publishing.

I won't take the time to go over each chapter, that is why you should buy the book if you are still perplexed or don't feel comfortable with you 600 or even more so with your 800.

If you are a coming from using other Minelab detectors you may not need this book.

The book is no substitute for not putting in the hours hunting with your machine, but it does make those hours more productive in terms of learning the machine. Also I have filled in my 800 learning gaps with carefully reading as many posts here and on other MD forums devoted to the 600 and 800. And to a lesser extent some youtube videos made by people using the Equinox.

And no I am not affiliated with Clynick in any manner. I do own and operate multiple, very technical book review web sites but won't post those links or names, because that is not the purpose of this post. The purpose of this post is to help newbies and others learn these remarkable detectors.

HH with your 600 or 800.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm still awaiting my 800, but I'm about half way through Clive's book. The book is NOT a rehashing of the manual. I'll find it very valuable with my EQ800 learning curve.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepseeker, I think they are in stock again at Cabellas and on Ebay at the normal price.

Pulltabfelix, thanks for the info.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The manual was written with a 100 translations in mind, and it shows. The book cuts thru the globaleese and conveys it in a more straight forward way.

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm waiting for the Canadian version.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd take one!

AurumHunter024

May 10, 2018
CO, 4 corners
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the review.
I’ve been considering this book but have been hesitant because of the general newness of the Equinox MDs. (Wondering how a book could be written so quickly on such a new machine.)
I’ll definitely pick up a copy after reading your review.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at his website, it looks like a lot of his experience is related to beaches. Is his book written mostly from the perspective of a beach hunter or is there a lot of information for trashy park hunters?

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been reading about the learning curve with the NOX and have been hesitant in getting one since I seem to be doing fine with my AT PRO, not sure if the cost and frustration of learning a new machine is worth the squeeze, but on the other hand the NOX seems to find stuff that the AT PRO and other machines have missed.....oh what to do???

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been reading about the learning curve with the NOX and have been hesitant in getting one since I seem to be doing fine with my AT PRO, not sure if the cost and frustration of learning a new machine is worth the squeeze, but on the other hand the NOX seems to find stuff that the AT PRO and other machines have missed.....oh what to do???

The learning curve ain't that steep compared to something like the Deus because you really don't need to do as much settings tweaking. It just takes swing hours on to train your ears to the different way it sounds and the much faster response time vs. the AT Pro. It's different but relatively easy to start swinging it out of the box without much setup. Use some test targets (trash and keepers) to get used to the tones and off you go.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clive must have run himself ragged on the nox, he really knows it but tells you he don't know it all. It's a good machine for anyone really. If you can noise cancel (2 buttons to hit) and sensitivity is ultra simple, +&- buttons anytime your in a detecting mode. you'll find coins. I got nerve damage from a couple bad vertebrae and cant give the nox more then 15 minutes or so and even in my trashy hunted heavy yard i find a couple coins. and i limit myself to 3 holes a day! And i never detected more then 10 times a year.

ewtaylor

Mar 20, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The book is a very big help. I have the nox 600 and it helped unblur some issues. I use the at pro strictly for freshwater hunts now.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
V, as you know from watching me with the Deus there is no learning curve.:laughing7: My goodies over the last year and a half have been found with factory settings. The "custom" modes I had to trash as they did not live up to expectations. There are of course reasons the factories set presets. No need to applaud....

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Polite Golf Clap... :notworthy:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Polite golf clap will suffice. No need to kiss the ring. It's not that many more weeks till frost comes!

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have had my Nox 800 for about two months now and hunt with it about 6-8 hours per week. Sold my AT Pro to help pay for the 800. On these early learning curve hunts I would have felt more comfortable and confident using my AT Pro since I had 3 years hunting experience with the AT Pro. I am still not at the level of confidence with the Nox 800 as I was with the AT Pro. It just seems to take me much longer to get used to and competent with the 800 than it ever took with the AT Pro.
Would I still spend the money on the 800 knowing what I know now and had that decision to make? Probably, but not sure I would have sold my AT Pro. I kind of look at it this way, had I purchased a CTC 3030 or Deus, I would have had the same high learning curve but would have expected that. I think some of us who went from the AT Pro to the 600 or especially the 800 thought that the modest price difference may have meant a modest learning curve difference and that is the reason for so much frustration with by new Equinox users like myself that are not your more experienced detectorists.

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yes, using the keeps and trash items is what I had to use. And I found if on the 800 you start changing your tone break pitches too much you have another learning curve to march up. So be careful on that one.

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I bought the book not long after it was provided to the public for the sale, It was very informative and helpful. I did email Clive questioning one statement he made, and Clive was kind enough to email me back and explain his statement, clearing up any questions I had. Clive did a good job and I have no regrets buying his book, it helped me understand the Nox and I appreciate him taking the time out to share his knowledge, just as I appreciate all the technical advice shared here on this forum... Thanks, take care and God Bless!!!

"D"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions