Clorox (1940-1942)

wakehunternc

Tenderfoot
Aug 8, 2008
May not seem like an amazing find to some of you, but I was pretty happy about finding this 1940-1942 Clorox bottle! Came across it while digging through an old dump site and decided to take it home and check the age. Luckily for me Clorox keeps a bottle guide on their website:
http://www.thecloroxcompany.com/company/history/bottleguide/index.html
I've got it cleaned up a bit, but there is still some dirt and grime stuck on the inside. The opening is pretty small, how do you all clean the inside of these types of bottles?

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
From the Clorox website...

Because people frequently write The Clorox Company asking the vintage of old Clorox liquid bleach bottles they've acquired, this online guide has been prepared to help collectors determine the approximate age of different Clorox bottles used over the years.

I think that is a hoot ! Good for them :thumbsup:

Jay

Apolla

Mar 12, 2007
Gwynns island , va
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
I think I have over 50 of these!! I happened onto a bottle dump of "I swear" just CLOROX and some bluing bottles. Must of been a clean freak that lived in the old farmhouse that was on the land. House long gone... I only was able to locate an old well and the bottle dump. I was thrilled to see that this company actually had all the bottles online to look up and date them. I had a blast checking for the raised lettering vs. other decade markings. I was impressed how easy it was to determine the dating of these bottles and how many different one I had in my collection from one bottle dump. I should call it a CLOROX dump. I don't think they are worth much... but I enjoyed digging them up, cleaning the roots that grew inside them out and spit shining them.... and I used CLOROX from a plastic bottle to disinfect them! LOL!

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
Apolla said:
I think I have over 50 of these!! I happened onto a bottle dump of "I swear" just CLOROX and some bluing bottles. Must of been a clean freak that lived in the old farmhouse that was on the land. House long gone... I only was able to locate an old well and the bottle dump. I was thrilled to see that this company actually had all the bottles online to look up and date them. I had a blast checking for the raised lettering vs. other decade markings. I was impressed how easy it was to determine the dating of these bottles and how many different one I had in my collection from one bottle dump. I should call it a CLOROX dump. I don't think they are worth much... but I enjoyed digging them up, cleaning the roots that grew inside them out and spit shining them.... and I used CLOROX from a plastic bottle to disinfect them! LOL!
whats the oldest clorox bottle?i've seen glass arrowheads from my area but it was spanish green glass.i found these two pieces in a little indian camp in a field plowded field next to the creek.worked edges but the brown one says clorox on it,lol.thats why i'm asking how old are clorox botteles. i know they work glass but when did they stop?

Attachments

• DSC04254.JPG
    DSC04254.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 1,274

Apolla

Mar 12, 2007
Gwynns island , va
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Hello there. From the Clorox site it says that the Earliest Bottles from the CLOROX company are:

"In 1913, Clorox liquid bleach was initially offered in five-gallon crockery jugs since it was originally used exclusively by industrial concerns, such as laundries, breweries, walnut bleachers and municipal water companies. This product was delivered by horse and wagon to various customers in San Francisco Bay Area for use as a bleach, stain remover, deodorant and disinfectant.

Five years later, in 1918, Clorox bleach was introduced into American households in 15-ounce amber glass "pint" bottles by the Electro-Alkaline Co., forerunner of The Clorox Company. From 1918 through 1928, these same "pint" containers were also used by other companies to bottle a variety of liquid products. Consequently, these stock bottles had no markings of any kind. Since millions of these containers were used, it is virtually impossible-if the label is missing-to tell which of these bottles contained Clorox and which contained other products.

Glass bottles used by The Clorox Company after 1928 can be distinguished by various characteristics. The following tips and illustrations point out variations in style, markings, lettering, glass texture and handles, and together serve as a guide in determining the approximate vintage of the early Clorox bottles."

**********************************************************************************
From the lot that I pulled out of the ground I have a 1938 Cork top. I still havent got all the gunk out of it... Maybe I should soak it in CLOROX. LOL!

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
Apolla said:
Hello there. From the Clorox site it says that the Earliest Bottles from the CLOROX company are:

"In 1913, Clorox liquid bleach was initially offered in five-gallon crockery jugs since it was originally used exclusively by industrial concerns, such as laundries, breweries, walnut bleachers and municipal water companies. This product was delivered by horse and wagon to various customers in San Francisco Bay Area for use as a bleach, stain remover, deodorant and disinfectant.

Five years later, in 1918, Clorox bleach was introduced into American households in 15-ounce amber glass "pint" bottles by the Electro-Alkaline Co., forerunner of The Clorox Company. From 1918 through 1928, these same "pint" containers were also used by other companies to bottle a variety of liquid products. Consequently, these stock bottles had no markings of any kind. Since millions of these containers were used, it is virtually impossible-if the label is missing-to tell which of these bottles contained Clorox and which contained other products.

Glass bottles used by The Clorox Company after 1928 can be distinguished by various characteristics. The following tips and illustrations point out variations in style, markings, lettering, glass texture and handles, and together serve as a guide in determining the approximate vintage of the early Clorox bottles."

**********************************************************************************
From the lot that I pulled out of the ground I have a 1938 Cork top. I still havent got all the gunk out of it... Maybe I should soak it in CLOROX. LOL!
thanks for your expert advice,i've found a few cork top ones also but i never kept them.few dumps in my area alog the beach.maybe i'll keep the next ones

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
Better ways to clean with small openings are to use nipple brushes for baby bottles, or cut up a coat hanger , attach some cloth or the like on the end, and swab it. Good luck with it!!

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
steve71 said:
Apolla said:

thanks for your expert advice,i've found a few cork top ones also but i never kept them.few dumps in my area alog the beach.maybe i'll keep the next ones
alog the beach,lol what a dumb ass,guess i should proff read

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread