Close calls with Sharks??

Slowwalker

May 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering if anybody in the Gulf or ocean has had any close calls while detecting, or too close for comfort experiences with sharks, Rays, Dolphins, pretty much any of the sea life in which you hunt...

I do know they are studying the effects of rare earth magnets on sharks. I don't know if it works on all of them but alot of them get a shock with the rare earth minerals mixed with the salt water the sharks skin becomes charged. They put a sharks fin in a glass of water (with the rare earth magnet) and tested it with a voltage meter and it did have a small charge. Might save someones life or limb someday.

Upvote 0

Must811

Feb 20, 2006
Boca Raton, Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Equinox 800, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A couple of years ago in South Florida, I had a small (2 ft.) shark that bumped my coil for my whole hunt. It wasn't interested in me at all, just was going nuts over my coil. I think they are attracted to the Electromagnetic field. This guys was just an annoyance, but a bit bigger and its an issue!

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
I Had a scare with a 5 foot hammerhead 2 years ago on the west coast florida . I nudge his nose with my water scoop and off he went and off I went Not to return to the water till this year . Scared the Hell out of me . Im still a bit uneasy in the water at waste deep ...

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Odd you would bring this up today. I hunt in water that is lovingly and sometimes proudly referred to as, "the shark bite capital of the world" much to the disliking of many local merchants & businesses. Anyway, just this morning at low tide I was standing in chest deep water swinging my bright orange WOT coil in water that was still stained from the recent storm. All the while I have these schools of large, plump, juicy mullet swimming all around me and even bumping into me and my detector shaft. And that's when I had the following thought, "Hu, not sure why, but I feel I'm missing an obvious connection here." :laughing7:

Sometimes when the water is clear I'll see one cruising around on the other side of the bar and I will admit, it certainly can give you the willies. But, so far, so good. Stingrays you just sort of push out of the way with your scoop or coil, "when you can see them." Not many problems with them on the coast, but in the river they are everywhere so you always have to remember to shuffle your feet. Last thing you want to do is step on one.

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I hunt the Gulf so I don't worry much about sharks but you never know.
:'(

1882-2011 Map of Florida's Confirmed Unprovoked Shark Attacks

shark.JPG
TerritoryTotal
Attacks
Fatal
Attacks
Last
Fatality
Volusia 242 0
Brevard 103 1 1934
Palm Beach 60 0
St. Johns 32 0
St. Lucie 29 0
Martin 27 1 2010
Florida Keys 18 0
Duval 20 2 1976
Indian River 17 1 1998
Pinellas 12 2 2000
Broward 11 1 2001
Dade 11 1 1961
Collier 7 0
Bay 7 1 1988
Sarasota 7 0
Lee 7 0
Flagler 6 0
Escambia 5 0
Manatee 4 0
Nassau 3 0
Santa Rosa 1 0
Franklin 2 0
Walton 1 1 2005
Okaloosa 1 0
Gulf 1 0
Charlotte 1 0
Monroe 1 0
Unspecified 1 0
FLORIDA 637 11 2010

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was detecting a Ct. beach years ago - mask & snorkel - out in about 6 feet of water
I always check my surroundings above and below
I noticed a guy on the beach watching me for awhile - went about my business and looked up again
and this time he was with his wife and pointing at me
my girlfriend was in a chair near by and over heard them talking - next time I look up she is standing with them and talking
so I figured - okay - they lost something out here - so I was hunting all day a it was time to take a break
so I approached the group - I said "did someone lose something?'
my gal says "No - he used to water detect" - Guy was german and had a strong accent
He said "I cant believe you go out that far - youre not affraid of sharks?"
I said "never seen sharks here - oh in deep water I know there are..."
He said he used to live on Gulf side of Fla. - and used to water hunt down there
He said he was hunting in about chest deep water - had a long handled scoop
minding his own business - down a little ways from the crowds
amongst the other beach banter - he hears some people yelling
but pays no mind - has nothing to do with him he figures
all of a sudden there is a tremendous thrash and his scoop is yanked from
his grasp and he is bumped aside
after crappin his suit - he looks to shore and a lifeguard and couple of others are waving him in
telling him to get out - he quickly does
lifeguard told him from tip to tail he estimated in was a shark no less than 6 feet long
he thinks bigger - guy said he had nightmares and has never water hunted since and eventually
moved up here away from Fla. - but he says he is still having probs getting near the water
if the shark had not gone for his shiny scoop - it could have been his arm or his leg
or all of him

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally have never seen a shark while detecting
tons of rays and skates - big barracuda and all sorts of other sea life
I usually have all kinds of fish around when I use my PI
I figured maybe the pulse hits their lateral line and attracts them
I figured it would do the same for a shark and with the thrashing around sometimes
with scooping - it would definitely bring one in
I have swam with sharks before
had a black tip reef shark chase me of his territory all the way back to the boat
actually got a pic- I turned and shot backwards as he was coming from behind
me - once he got to far from his reef he spun around and went back - black tips
are territorial and dont want to lose their spot by straying to far from it

another time I was on a deep water snorkel trip - I used to be into water photography
a lot and would dive down and snap pics - after surfacing and just cruising on the surface looking for my
next target - 3 huge lemon sharks swam right under me within arms length
they were about 7-8 feet long - huge heads
if they felt like it - they could have all dined on me
they came directly from behind me and just went on by

in murky waters once i had a barracuda scare the poop out me
he must of saw glint of sun hit my mask - cause he came out of the
murk and snapped right in front of my face about 6 inches - and then vanished

I always tell people - try not to wear bling where there are cudas
I used to frequent the keys a lot and heard many stories about people
having necklaces with dangling charms get snapped off by cudas
and one story of a finger being lost
barracuda like little silvery bait fish - and sun hits jewelry just right
it looks like diner

OP
OP
S

Slowwalker

May 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the 80s I was swimming with my sister on a sand bar quite a bit off of the beach, I was like 7 so distance is hard to guage, at that time my yard seemed like a football field. I don't remember why but I went back in and while I was on my way a guy pointed to my sister and told my mom "That girl out there is going to get ate." There was a 12 footer trolling around the sandbar. Mom started pointing and yelling for her to come in and she just turned and waved like she was having a great time, basically ignoring mom like usual... I was too far away and she didn't hear my little voice but it didn't matter. The shark had already swam away but it scared the crap out of mom.

I forgot all about that happening until I was reading all of your stories. I think that was on Anna Maria Island near Cortes. I wasn't allowed at Lido beach back then :dontknow:

I don't like to post links but here is an article about the rare earth metals and magnets... I wonder if they would interfere with a detector much... It's worth looking into, I have a few I took out of old hard drives.

BBC News - Shark attacks: A magnetic solution?

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
In the past 12 years hunting the beaches around Tampa Bay. I've been touched and hit by 2 sharks. One was near St. Petersburg by the upside down building. Chest deep water another guy 5 feet from me. All of a sudden we both jump back. A nurse shark had swum between the two of us and the fins had touched both of us at the same time. We didn't see it until we both saw it swimming away, it was really big over 10 feet. Then several years ago I was at Clearwater beach and the water was really yucky, lots of stuff floating around, murky, sea grass sea weed, and other stuff. Chest deep water, then my mind started remembering the shark shows on discovery. My brain was doing a running commentary about, why sharks get swimmers, and surf conditions, (basically the exact ones I was experiencing that day). When all of a sudden I get hit hard in the lower hip, I regained my balance to see a shark fin moving away from me, not sure of the size it didn't matter. Yep I got out of the surf as fast as I could, done for the day. I have also had lots of fish swimming around me and have touched numerous rays with my shuffling feet or sweeping coil of the detector.
One time out in the water detecting several college boys ran into the water and tried to pull me in yelling sharks, sharks get out of the water. I looked around and pointed to what they thought were sharks and said no dolphins like the old TV show flipper. You guys need to go back to school and do some studies in sea life, and stop playing video games! Yes many times dolphins are within 10 to 15 feet of me! Being in the ocean experiencing sea creatures, people swimming, beautiful sunrises and sunsets is the true treasure, but it still makes me smile when I see that glimmer of gold in the bottom of my scoop.
Happy hunting everyone!

Last edited:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:BangHead::laughing7: i wish ALL happy hunting:metaldetector:

bigwayray

Tenderfoot
Aug 15, 2011
Ocala, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sharks are definitely attracted to all things electronic, Just dove with Tiger sharks at Tiger Beach (search for it on You Tube) and they kept coming face to face with me and would "mouth" my GoPro camera and I would have to push them away with my free hand or the camera.
Sharks will want to "touch" your coil with their mouths out of curiosity and attraction to the electromagnetic frequencies. Just tap them in the nose with your detector. They should turn away. However if they "bite" you they just meant to "feel" what you are, not intentionally take a "bite". They can't help it, it's what they have done for 300 million years. they don't have hands.

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
I feel way safer in the surf then in the rivers / canals / estuaries ... reason.... BULL sharks. Super aggressive. They may not eat you but one bite anywhere will see the claret pour out of you ... usually faster than you can get help. Mind you, some of the best waves break in rivermouths around here so the fear of Bullies has me pooen bigtime!
Also Great Whites chase whale pods up the coast here in winter so always in the back of my mind if I'm surfing deeper water. + don't believe the Flipper will save you myth - over here sharks cruise under hunting dolphin pods for the scraps .. I'll bet Bud got eaten while old Flips chowed down on a mullet.

hobbit

Oct 1, 2010
Getting zapped by a stingray is a most unpleasant experience. I was detecting in the water in front of the Hotel del Coronado once and the rays were thick, as they often are in Southern California in the summertime. They are pretty easy to avoid by simply shuffling your feet, of course. I got hit by an unexpected wave while digging a target and stubled backwards and stepped right on one. The barb went through a 7mm scuba boot easily. They are the one animal I think about trying to avoid whenever I get in the water. For some people, a sting from a ray can be life threatening as well as just painful...

MrBalance

May 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several years ago some swimmer was swimming across the Atlantic.
He swam whole day and then he slept on the boat.

He had some sort of electromagnetic device that was suppose to scare the Sharks.
Each sea animal has an electromagnetic signature.

If you have on yourself a generator of whale signature theoretically Sharks will run away from you.
Try to find how long distance swimmers protect themselves.
That will be your best solution.

If you are walking in shallow water and metal detecting you can construct a floating cage/raft. Encircling you. That you drag around with you.
It will look funny but can come in handy if there is a Shark going your way.
And you can put all your equipment on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread