Closing of parks - need your help

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
I'm going to start talking about the closing of state and city parks (to metal detecting) in my podcasts. I don't plan on devoting an entire show to the topic, because the people who need to hear such a show are the people who wouldn't listen to it.

Instead, I'll do occasional brief segments discussing new city or state ordinances, as a part of longer shows that discuss other topics.

So please help me here: if your state, city, or county has instituted new, tougher rules concerning metal detecting, please send me whatever particulars you can find. I need to know for sure what the ban covers and when it was enacted. It would also be nice to know if the local hobbyist clubs are doing anything to fight back.

You may post here, but please also send your reports to: [email protected]

Thanks!

---Dan, http://thetreasurecorner.com

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Thanks Dan! Perhaps include a bit on the removal of hazardous objects we take for granted as md'ers. Nails from woodchips, razor blades, screws, shredded aluminum, etc.

Please point out that not having us around increases liabilities from these hazards!

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
Thanks Dan and don't forget to mention the ubiquitous hypodermic syringe; i.e needle stick.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Dan, keep up the good work. I enjoy your podcasts. But as past club president, and as someone from the old school (before the internet, before the FMDAC, etc...) I've seen this very psychology evolve. And when you ask someone "why would you think you can't detect?", they invariably point to some isolated incident elsewhere in the USA, that they read about on the wonderful internet, magazines, etc....

Can you present this psychology in your podcast: Encourage folks at the conclusion of your podcast, something to this effect: "this was not meant, in any way, that just because some other city or county, in other states has some problems, that you too, in your locale, should inquire of powers-that-be in your own locale" Implore them, if they have such questions, to look-it-up-themselves, not go asking local parks depts, police, etc....

Reason is, the minute someone posts (or podcasts, or whatever) such sad stories, newbies read of permits, bootings, and such, and immediately run into city hall, wherever they're located, and ask "can I metal detect?" And then you can guess what happens next: They get a "no", where no one ever gave the matter thought before :( Ie.: no one cared, UNTIL they asked :( And yes, they can give a "no", even if no such wording exists. Ie.: someone can say "no, simply because I said so" And worse yet, rules can even be written "to address their pressing issue"! I've seen that happen before :( And truth be told, they probably could've md'd till they were blue in the face, and no one would've paid them mind.

So encourage your listeners that if they have any questions, to look it up themselves. Rules are usually available at city websites (just do a key-word search under "metal detector" or whatever), or written on the wooden sign at the park entrance. And even after that, discretion is advised: Ie.: go at low traffic times to avoid busy-bodies, don't be in the middle of holes when gardening personell are present, etc.....

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Listen to Tom....some of us old-schooler's are really getting miffed by people prying too deeply into what's right and wrong at the wrong levels.

I have never..ever..asked permission to detect what I assume to be public property. In my 20+ years of detecting, I have never...ever been questioned about what I was doing by anyone in authority.

One lone incident...a groundskeeper at a park, told me not to dig in an area because of burried sprinkler lines that some other detectorists had punctured. He let me detect other areas and even gave me a tip where a guy lost his wedding band in the infield portion of a ballfield. (nope, didnt find it)

I would stress common sense.....dont do an area of obvious historic importance that is protected, don't ignore no tresspassing signs....
People that detect these places are why we are seeing more and more laws...not to mention the ones that want to play it safe and ask someone in their local gov't...and then they ruin it for us all.

Like Tom pointed out....I was detecting before the internet and not once ever considered asking permission to do a park. Never crossed my mind that it would be banned.....until the internet came along.
But I still keep a low profile at some places that are public but still prohibit detecting.....They are just assinine rules created exactly for that reason....someone asked and was told no...then they made it a law.

Al

XT18000

May 26, 2008
All good post and I might add these also:

1. Make damn sure you FILL IN YOUR HOLES!
2. If the ground is very dry and grass in any color other
than normal DO NOT DIG THERE, find someplace
else to hunt until the area greens up again.
3. Hunt during the week instead of on week ends if you
can.
4. Stay out of area's where you are not supost to be.
5. Don't use any digging tool larger than you REALLY
need to recover your targets.
6. Learn the right way to cut a plug so as not to
kill the grass when hunting coin's
I'am sure we could add to this list but if you just follow these guide
lines it will make yourself and the rest of us look better.
Remember; If you can see where you were digging SO CAN EVERY ONE ELSE !!!!!!!!!

Bodyguard

Mar 11, 2007
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
BH Sharpshooter II
I don't really know too much about the rest of my state (Pennsylvania) regarding MD'ing restrictions, as I stay pretty much in my own backyard. (Bucks County). I will say though, that Bucks seems to have very liberal rules regarding MD'ing. Get a permit (free, just to keep track of who's doing it) ; Fill your holes; don't bother other groups; and if something truly valuable turns up, please report it. The only county parks that are off limits are those historically protected (Fonthill, Washington's X'ing etc,,,) Maybe if we let the people know that with rules like this, our parks are still viable for everyone else, they could be less restrictive in other areas

coin_diver

Oct 3, 2003
Syracuse, ny
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, xl500 (27 yrs) XLT (17 yrs)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well Dan, Thank you for all that you are doing. After watching these towns and cities deciding to write new laws, we have decided to fight back.
You see, these bureaucrats are intentionally misapplying the ARPA act and telling everyone that they only want to protect these sites of heritage from the mischief of a few. Well now we are telling them, we are not just a few and we will not sit by while they display prejudice.
What we have begun is different from all other groups now, anywhere. All of members' dues along with those of corporate sponsors will go to pay for a lobbyist in that state's capital. We are starting here in NY and will be speaking throughout different states to explain our mission. As each state reaches 200 members then another lobbyist will be added there. We are representing all hobbyists, gold, bottle and coin hunters, land or sea. We have just rolled out a placeholder with dramatic changes to come so please bare with us.

You have asked, why doesn't someone fight back. Now we are. Stay tuned.

National-land-rights-foundation.org

Attachments

• nlrf-mountain.JPG
    nlrf-mountain.JPG
    3 KB · Views: 143

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
Coin_Diver, cudos to you and your group. Perhaps they on capital hill will listen to people who truly are doing no harm.

Thanks for all your work!!!

detector99

Nov 1, 2004
NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An Important Message From Frank Pandozzi -Re: Closing of parks

Are you mad folks? Does the thought of more and more parks being closed to metal detecting raise your blood pressure? If it doesn’t then don’t bother to finish reading this post. I’m not in this fight to please everyone, and I know I can’t. But give me the eyes and ears of those of you who are concerned, and who want to help with this problem.

Some of you know me from my Exploring Historys Treasures TV series. From that television show, you may also remember that I was harassed, criticized, and portrayed as a looter by the Archaeological community. For almost five years the Archie’s tried to shut down my production, during that time many of you who were supporters stuck with me.

Over the years, because of my experience with the Archaeologists, and my self imposed education of the antiquities laws, many have asked me to become more vocal against our intrusion of rights as metal detectorists and public land users. Many have told me that all though the other organizations that are helping our hobby gain our rights back, have not had enough power behind them to fight. Now, the time has come for me to announce the formation of the National Land Rights Foundation (NLRF).

In a moment I will explain why I believe that this organization will not only lay the foundation for land rights change, but will also have the power and the voice needed to command respect of our hobby, as well as respect in every recreation involving our public lands.

Our country is changing. More and more laws are being passed that are infringing upon our rights as free Americans. Many of these laws are unconstitutional, and are passed so swiftly that congress, nor the public has any idea what is happening. Honestly, I think our forefathers are turning over in their graves.

Already, our rights to use public lands has slowly been taken away. Ever since the unconstitutional passing of the Antiquities Law of 1906, we have also seen State laws that have been passed that infringe upon our hobby and our right to use city, town and village parks. This is why Mike Austin and I started NLRF.

You may be asking yourself, why will the National Land Rights Foundation be any different that some of the other organizations that have been in existence for many years?

The answer is simple. The NLRF will be a powerful voice for public land rights issues because we have a paid membership. Because of a paid membership, we will be able to involve lobbyists, and others to help us gain back what is rightfully ours.

Over the years, Mike Austin and I have formed a relationship with many individuals who can help our members in this issue. We have already reached out to them for their service, however, we need members, and we need membership dues in order to secure help from these individuals.

I am asking you to go to our website at

http://www.national-land-rights-foundation.org and see for yourself what we can offer. Take a look at our mission statement, see the benefits of joining, and then tell your friends and family about us.

We are all students of history, whether by land or sea, for gold nuggets or coins, searching for bottles or bullets. The use of a detector vs. trowel doesn’t criminalize our behavior or rationalize another.

This is a cause of which we are all joined and we will fight for all individuals who use public lands for recreation.

The time has come to speak out. Never before in the history of our great country have we been so blindsided by our government. If you care, then please go to the website. Help us to help you. Become a member of the NLRF, and then spread the word.

Thank You,
Frank Pandozzi

PS: Mike and I will be traveling the country speaking at clubs and various functions. If you want us as speakers please let me know.

Stand up and make a difference! Join us at http://www.national-land-rights-fioundation.org. We will make a difference.

Attachments

• image001.gif
    image001.gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 97

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
The replacement Governor, Pat Quinn of Illinois has just stated he intends to reopen seven of the State Parks closed by the fallen one, Blago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread