CLOVIS! My Oldest Find EVER!

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Two days later and I'm still just as giddy as when I found this.

Monday after work I decided to take a little drive down to Massachusetts to a colonial farm site along the Connecticut River where I have had some luck with my detector. After swinging the coil for a while in a lower field and only turing up a few flat buttons, I decided to try my luck in the upper field which had recently been turned over. The soil was really dry and the dust was awful. Disgruntled, I figured I would do one more pass hoping to dig at least one good keeper for the day. I always look down when I'm detecting, so its not uncommon for me to find the occasional arrowhead or flake, but what I saw laying on the ground shocked me. Staring up from the dusty earth was the most perfect point I had ever seen. I just about through my detector and shovel in excitement. I didn't even think to take an in-situ picture, I just picked it up and kept saying "oh my god, oh my god." In my hand I held my very first Paleo point, this wonderfully fluted Clovis! The point is 4 1/8" long, 1 1/2" wide. I can't wait to get back there and search for more!

Attachments

• IMG_1832.JPG
    IMG_1832.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_1834.JPG
    IMG_1834.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_1835.JPG
    IMG_1835.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_1824.JPG
    IMG_1824.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_1825.JPG
    IMG_1825.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_1827.JPG
    IMG_1827.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_1828.JPG
    IMG_1828.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 222
Upvote 0

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Congrats oxbowbarefoot. I may be new to this but I surely do recognize what an amazing find that is. Pretty sure I would have jumped right up in to orbit if I had found that. Thanks for sharing.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just saw it in Todays finds. Wow. It has my vote. Be nice to see an artifact on top

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good God what a wonderful save that was. Congrats and lucky you. I was going to vote banner but I see its already there.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Unbelievable. For those who don't regularly play in the pre-Columbian artifact space, you really can't overstate the rarity, antiquity and value of this piece. Simply amazing.

Great find my friend.

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you are not far from the Sugarloaf site, id get that to R.M. Gramly. He would love to see it.... Hes up there if not now, very soon digging on the site... Check it out and let us know how it goes. He will tell you everything and more about it... :thumbsup:

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if only that point could talk...what a story it could tell! Once in a life time find!!! Oh what a feeling it must be...Congratulations!!!

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Gooder than good. Has to be one of the rarest finds ever in that area. I don't know much about the piece, but how did it get there? Was it made and used by the locals or was it traded for? Sorry to be so stupid.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on an extraordinary find! :icon_thumright: It is an exhilarating feeling when you are privileged to find a Clovis point, Well Done!

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Since you are not far from the Sugarloaf site, id get that to R.M. Gramly. He would love to see it.... Hes up there if not now, very soon digging on the site... Check it out and let us know how it goes. He will tell you everything and more about it... :thumbsup:

Could you PM me his contact info if you have it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions