Clovis pic. for Degem and everyone else!

badandy

Aug 31, 2005
Collinsville, IL.
Clovis pic. for Deg'em and everyone else!

Hey all,
Here is a nice 3" Clovis I bought yesterday for a hefty sum if I do say so myself. It was found in June of this year and I'm already the 5th owner. Made from Burlington and was recovered in Iowa. Thanks for looking and HH!
badandy

Attachments

• Clovis #2.JPG
    Clovis #2.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 495
  • Clovis #2.b.JPG
    Clovis #2.b.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 497
Upvote 0

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Clovis pic. for Deg'em and everyone else!

Thats a great point, I dont have one....yet...d2

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin

Wow, sharp looking! I like the base on that one, really gives some good clues for the fluting process.

A

Atlantis0077

Howdy

GREEN WITH ENVY That is a nice point...would imagine you did pay a little for it. But looks worth it to me. Yes as with any good antique there is a turnover with good points as well...except for me.....I am the Black Hole of Calcutta when it comes to points....once I get, it never leaves!...lol

When you find another one for sale for a couple hundred, gimme a call.

Happy hunting

Johnny X

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2005
Jerseyville Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's Spec. XLT..... My Eyes

Wooooooooooo,

thats a nice clovis boi.

Keep them coming....

Steven.

HH

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan

Very nice!

I have been going through and cleaning the glue from my points so that I can reframe them.

I have found that I have about five or six clovis points ranging from about 1 1/2 inches to about three inches.

I swear I will eventually post some pictures!!!

Another question on displaying them... Should I display them with the clean side up or the patina side up? They were affixed with the patina side up, but I think the clean side is better looking and you can see the details of the rock better.

What do you guys think?

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin

Patina side up/down ??? Patina should cover the whole point.. or are you talking about something like shalack that was painted on?

OP
OP
badandy

badandy

Aug 31, 2005
Collinsville, IL.

Hey digem,
Please post pics. of these points you have. Pics. of both sides would be the best. Cannonman is right, patina should be all over the point evenly.
badandy

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan

Maybe I should clarify a bit. By patina I mean the side that was up for a gazillion years and is covered with ...?... and does not show off the colors of the stone as well. To me it looks like dried pond slime from ones found in creeks.

Many of these were in my fathers collection and I can not take credit for all of them as my own finds, but some are.

My father mounted the better ones on felt in picture frames using white glue which came right off with a hot water soak. Some were shalacked and that appears to have also came off.

I'll post a pic tomorrow of both sides of one of the ones in question and see what you guys think.

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan

BTW, I found another nice mano today. Those things are everywhere out here.... sadly the metates that go with them have been carted off. It's like nobody wanted to take the manos with them.

:-\ :-\ :-\

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin

Looking forward to seeing the points!! It will probably be a matter of personal taste as to how you display them but I want to see them none the less! :)

OP
OP
badandy

badandy

Aug 31, 2005
Collinsville, IL.

O.K. dig'em,
Post pics. of the points you refer to before you clean them. I used to clean my points before I displayed them. Now only if they are not big or real nice I clean'em. I have one point that I found almost a year ago and never cleaned it. Lar Hothem is going to put it in his next book because of the size of it and the heavy creek stain on it. I left it on because it shows the flaking better than if I would have cleaned it. Like cannon man said "It's your personal choice", but be careful what you clean them with. Here is a pic. of the point I am talking about. By the way I bought another nice Clovis yesterday and I'll post some pics. of it soon on another thread. Thanks in advance Dig'em.
badandy

Attachments

• Hemphill from sch. insitu.JPG
    Hemphill from sch. insitu.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 374
  • Hemphill from sch. in hand.JPG
    Hemphill from sch. in hand.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 381
  • Hemphill from sch. in hand.JPG
    Hemphill from sch. in hand.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 377
  • Hemphill from sch. insitu.JPG
    Hemphill from sch. insitu.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 367

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan

Wow... that's a super nice point badandy!

Here is a pic of the "patina" that I am talking about.

Front side and Back side of same point.

Attachments

• Patina2.JPG
    Patina2.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 343
  • Patina1.JPG
    Patina1.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 356

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan

Here's a couple pics of my collection of points and things... well, except all the BIG things that are sitting around outside and some that are still in my other house in Georgia.

Attachments

• Collection1.JPG
    Collection1.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 361
  • Collection2.JPG
    Collection2.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 353

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o OH MY GOD! You are so lucky to live where you do- central wisconsin here and I have spent my entire life looking for points, thousands of hours, I couldn't fill one of those tubs. That's it, I'm going to have to make an artifact hunting trip to the south... unbelievable.

A

Atlantis0077

GOOD GRIEF Charlie Brown,

Man that is a nice lot of artifacts......you are however committing a major collector faux pas.......all those great points banging against one another in those boxes are chipping off tips ears and other stuff......put them on boards QUICK...or at least in Riker specimen mounts that will stop them chipping against each other. ;)

I see all sorts of goodies there. They will be VERY nice displayed out where you can see everything. I have seen some nice displays made by using different colored points to make pictures like a horse or Indian bust...Also you can't go wrong making Indian geometric designs....like you see in rugs or beadwork out of the points....using a variation of color and size you can make some very nice displays and you certainly have enough to make a nice one, or two, or three...lol

Happy hunting and keep those pics coming. I want to see all that stuff spread out for sure.

Atlantis

OP
OP
badandy

badandy

Aug 31, 2005
Collinsville, IL.

Man you have what I call a butt load of flint! Once you decide what your going to do you'll have to post pics. for all of us.
badandy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread