Clovis Spear Point

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
I recently located a "Clovis" spearpoint in someone elses arrowhead collection. The owner didn't seem particularly impressed by it. I aksed him if he was aware that was a Prehistoric artifact.. and he was still more interested in displaying the dozens of Indian arrowheads he'd collected over the years.

Correct me if i'm wrong on this, but haven't only a handful of Clovis points ever been found ? Making this a VERY RARE find ?

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheNewCatfish said:
I recently located a "Clovis" spearpoint in someone elses arrowhead collection. The owner didn't seem particularly impressed by it. I aksed him if he was aware that was a Prehistoric artifact.. and he was still more interested in displaying the dozens of Indian arrowheads he'd collected over the years.

Correct me if i'm wrong on this, but haven't only a handful of Clovis points ever been found ? Making this a VERY RARE find ?

While they are rare and every hunters dream find, there are more than a handfull of them in collections. If you search through the previous banner finds here you will see some.....

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know of a bird stone that a farmer found on his land, he brought out a small bucket of stone points and in with them all is this rare item that if you are lucky to ever see one or hold is an honour. He said that it will be handed down to one of his grandkids as he was tossing it back in the buck. I asked if he would sell he said no, he does not care of the value. If I had it, it would be in a safe display case and shown off to who might be interested in seeing some thing that is rare and hardly ever seen. HH

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Clovis points are not that rare but they are highly prized because of their age and Clovis technology is widely accepted as being the first in North America. That theory is losing ground though....

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
1320 said:
Clovis points are not that rare but they are highly prized because of their age and Clovis technology is widely accepted as being the first in North America. That theory is losing ground though....
1320, got any good links on this? I love watching nat geo & history channel on this subject, but never enuf for me.
I would love to have a clovis!

jaysin

Tenderfoot
Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There are alot of clovis points out there. the fluted clovis point is the most desireable and one of the harder ones to find. let not forget there are other styles of clovis era points too

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread