Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I went to the mall with my girlfriend and we each got a drink, a pretzel and a cup of cheese. (MMM makes me hungry typing this) The total came out to $6.49. I paid with a ten spot and when I looked at my change, I got a '56 Wheat and a Susan B. Anthony dollar! At first I thought she had given me that in place of a bill, but nope. The cashier thought it was a quarter! I counted my change again with the dollar coin counting as a quarter and it came out to be $3.51! LOL! Just thought I'd share my story with you to show that some people have no idea about the coins they handle everyday.

Happy Hunting,
Codes

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I cant believe our government made those Susan B's that are so closely resembling quarters. dumb dumb. That is why they were discontinued.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can understand that. I was at Fort Polk, La just a few weeks ago and went to a bar/restaurant and I got a beer, gave the waitress $3.00 and she gave me $0.50, after lookin at it, I noticed it looked funny and realized what she gave me, so I gave her a dollar tip. I generally keep my quarters. When I got up the next day I went through my quarters and looked at my Presidential James Madison Dollar. Of course it wasn't new looking and showed some wear but not much.

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Codes said:
Today I went to the mall with my girlfriend and we each got a drink, a pretzel and a cup of cheese. (MMM makes me hungry typing this) The total came out to $6.49. I paid with a ten spot and when I looked at my change, I got a '56 Wheat and a Susan B. Anthony dollar! At first I thought she had given me that in place of a bill, but nope. The cashier thought it was a quarter! I counted my change again with the dollar coin counting as a quarter and it came out to be $3.51! LOL! Just thought I'd share my story with you to show that some people have no idea about the coins they handle everyday.

Happy Hunting,
Codes
I had a sort-of opposite effect one day years ago. Just for fun and to see if I got a reaction I gave a young cashier at a supermarket a Bison (Buffalo to the tyros) nickel without a date. Out of custom she looked at the change as she counted it. When she got to the nickel she stopped, stared at it and I jumped in telling her that it was just an old nickel. The next thing she does is she calls the manager and he comes over, she hands him the nickel and he not being that much older than her and from another country he thought about it for a few moments then gave her an approving nod. That won't happen with wheaties so I don't bother having fun anymore.

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
bigcypresshunter said:
I cant believe our government made those Susan B's that are so closely resembling quarters. dumb dumb. That is why they were discontinued.
The Sac dollar is no winner either. I just found one and when it comes out of the ground without the golden tone it doesn't look like a majestic American coin as silver ones still look. It's pathetic.

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
during the "first" gas "crisis", (dirty,thieving pigs!) i ran my father-in-law's garage 3-9p.m. as a second job. people would bring in all kinds of silver, jewelry, etc. to buy gas. the coins, i would swap out to the register from my pocket. whatever else i would make a fair offer. did quite well at my pawn shop on the side. my wife is a "wicked" lunch lady at our school. the poor kids get real confused with the different coins and always try to give her dollars for quarters and what not.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been a while since I got any silver back in change, but I did get a wheatie the other day.
Heck, the copper value is more than the coin so i tossed it in my old penny jar.
I was never fond of those dollar coins either...didnt work in vending machines!
Now, those new 5 dollar bills dont work in a lot of vending machines either.
Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread