Cluster bomb

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good friend just passed away and we were up helping his wife clean out his sheds. cluster-bomb.jpg
My wife comes up with this odd metal ball that looks almost identical to the one pictured.
So before I call out the bomb squad can anyone tell me if this is explosive?
It's in a safe place right now and I have no idea how he came upon it.

Upvote 1
Post a picture of the one found that would help

Dig until your arm falls off

You think it's a bomblet out of a cluster bomb? I have no idea how they work, and while most ordinance doesn't bother me that's one that would. They blow up above the ground, and when they hit the ground, and I have no idea how they are detonated. First thing I'd do is google cluster bombs and see what you can find out, it might not be one. But if you find out it is one, or even if you think it is, then if it was me, I'd let the bomb squad blow it up. I've got a friend the worked on Nukes, and if you had one of those, I could help you out, but this one is above my pay grade.

Start with pictures of the actual item. If you truly think it's a bomblet, you need to call the police

I do and I will call. We are 200 miles away from it right now and nobody is at the house. I wasn't sure until I looked it up this morning. Going back next week and will let the authorities deal with it. No idea how a preacher came upon it- it may have been there when he moved in.

thanks for the responses

btw- it looks identical to the pic except its blue green and bronze.

Calisdad........when you pmed me I was a little let down that I likely could be of assistance but.........low and behold......I once stumbled onto a trip wire hooked to a cluster bomb that I only glanced at,but looked an awful lot like that.....???It was protecting an illicit grow and had there not been dew on the monofiliment line,I likely wouldnt be here.The Bomb Tech's came in and dis armed/removed it and I never seen it......So sorry to hear about your friend....that very same thing just happened to a very close friend that I considered a mentor.....

You may want to PM "CannonBallGuy" and ask him about it... be safe out there and glad you still have all your finger and toes.

What a nasty piece of equipment. Glad your run in turned out ok.
My friends neighbor is a retired LEO so I asked her to call up and have it disposed of. It may or may not be a training round but not worth having around.
post-633-0-51874100-1363826748.jpg
It looks very much like this one.

I just want too add that if you do call the authorities they will come out there and deal with it properly.. but they will also do a back-ground check on you and those involved and may even file a search warrant where you found this and look for more,etc.. In today's times they may even send a FBI agent out there and question you, etc. I know a guy who was trying to get his private pilots license, he called a airport up and asked if they had a "LearJet 45" he wanted to see one up close, within 12 hours of that phone call he had 2 FBI agents at his house asking him questions,etc it took them maybe 20 minutes to determine he was an okay person and not a terrorist. I don't know if this will happen to you but just want to give you a heads up in this post 9-11 world.

Thanks for the heads up. We were cleaning up sheds that belonged to a pastor who just fell off his house and died. It may have been there when he moved in. Twice I've reported internet scams to the FBI and both times my phone was ringing within 5 minutes. Either way I don't want it around.

If it is painted blue, it is an inert practice version. Used to train people in the proper handling of munitions. The real ones are extremely dangerous and I wouldn't advise messing with them at all! As to how your friend aquired it, they were pretty common in surplus stores along with dummy grenades for quite a while, and may still be in some places. They sold for probably around 10-15 buck last time I saw them in a store.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back