CNN TODAY: 6 American Treasure Hunters Detained in Honduras

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
WIKI article

(I'm just passing this on with no personal opinion as to how accurate it may or may not be. AKA don't shoot the messenger)

In part states:
[h=3]Taking firearms to Honduras[edit][/h]No one may bring firearms into Honduras, except for diplomats or individuals participating in shooting or hunting sport events who have obtained a temporary firearm importation permit from the Honduran Ministry of Security prior to their travel to Honduras. Firearms for personal safety or for purposes other than the aforementioned must be purchased locally through La Armería, the government-run firearm and ammunition supplier.[SUP][29][/SUP]
Diplomats or individuals participating in shooting or hunting sport events must request a permit for the importation of firearms before attempting to travel to Honduras.[SUP][19][/SUP][SUP][30][/SUP] Firearms that arrive without the requisite Honduran permit will be confiscated and the bearer will be prosecuted.[SUP][29]

[/SUP]

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WIKI article

(I'm just passing this on with no personal opinion as to how accurate it may or may not be. AKA don't shoot the messenger)

In part states:
[h=3]Taking firearms to Honduras[edit][/h]No one may bring firearms into Honduras, except for diplomats or individuals participating in shooting or hunting sport events who have obtained a temporary firearm importation permit from the Honduran Ministry of Security prior to their travel to Honduras. Firearms for personal safety or for purposes other than the aforementioned must be purchased locally through La Armería, the government-run firearm and ammunition supplier.[SUP][29][/SUP]
Diplomats or individuals participating in shooting or hunting sport events must request a permit for the importation of firearms before attempting to travel to Honduras.[SUP][19][/SUP][SUP][30][/SUP] Firearms that arrive without the requisite Honduran permit will be confiscated and the bearer will be prosecuted.[SUP][29]

[/SUP]

I am not "shooting the messenger", but you can check with the Honduran embassy in Washington here: Embajada de Honduras en Washington D.C.

The information from the embassy is up to date as of today. I posted the regulations and process for importing firearms into Honduras several days ago. Among other requirements, the firearms must have been legally registered in another country prior to importation into Honduras.

There was a filmmaker with the crew when they were detained by the local police. He states in a story, I believe it was in Fox News Latino, that Captain Mayne had fulfilled all the necessary legal requirements. I guess none of us really know for sure, but there it is.

In another news story, Mayne claims he did not pay the bribe precisely because of a strict Honduran law forbidding foreign companies from influencing local officials with payoffs. :dontknow:

His attitude may strike us as silly, but apparently the Honduran Navy was involved along with the local police. Apparently the Honduran Navy had no problem with the firearms, but the local police did. It sounds like Capt. Mayne was between a rock and a hard place. If he bribed the local police because of the firearms, he might have been arrested by the Honduran Navy for influence peddling.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
I am not "shooting the messenger", but you can check with the Honduran embassy in Washington here: Embajada de Honduras en Washington D.C.

The information from the embassy is up to date as of today. I posted the regulations and process for importing firearms into Honduras several days ago. Among other requirements, the firearms must have been legally registered in another country prior to importation into Honduras.

There was a filmmaker with the crew when they were detained by the local police. He states in a story, I believe it was in Fox News Latino, that Captain Mayne had fulfilled all the necessary legal requirements. I guess none of us really know for sure, but there it is.

In another news story, Mayne claims he did not pay the bribe precisely because of a strict Honduran law forbidding foreign companies from influencing local officials with payoffs. :dontknow:

His attitude may strike us as silly, but apparently the Honduran Navy was involved along with the local police. Apparently the Honduran Navy had no problem with the firearms, but the local police did. It sounds like Capt. Mayne was between a rock and a hard place. If he bribed the local police because of the firearms, he might have been arrested by the Honduran Navy for influence peddling.

The old CATCH 22!

OP
OP
O

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
I hope Capt Mayne and crew get all of this behind them soon and get back to the States. After viewing the below picture. It looks like they are at least Healthy and their cell looks like some of the Hotel Rooms that I've stayed at in South America ( I know, I'm a cheap SOB ). I wish them Luck.
Crew members of Florida-based shipwreck salvage company Aqua Quest International Cook, Captain Mayne, Garrett, Matanich and Butler read a local newspaper article about themselves at the jail in Puerto Lempira | Top News Photos of the Day - Yahoo

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope Capt Mayne and crew get all of this behind them soon and get back to the States. After viewing the below picture. It looks like they are at least Healthy and their cell looks like some of the Hotel Rooms that I've stayed at in South America ( I know, I'm a cheap SOB ). I wish them Luck.
Crew members of Florida-based shipwreck salvage company Aqua Quest International Cook, Captain Mayne, Garrett, Matanich and Butler read a local newspaper article about themselves at the jail in Puerto Lempira | Top News Photos of the Day - Yahoo

Don't look like they living bad. Looking healthy, the government most likely are treating them different because they know they will die in the real jail. Then they will have dead falsely accused Americans on their hands. Its because they don't want to get nuked!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Below is a video news article from Tampa Bay WFLA Channel 8, June 12, 2014

Tarpon Springs (homeport) is in this viewing area.

Click this for the video

Screen Shot 2014-06-13 at 8.47.54 AM.png

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Tampa Bay Times article, 6-14-2014

If you notice, the same people keep appearing in the same clothes... just an observation.

Wouldn't expect a lot of change in prison I would imagine.

Screen Shot 2014-06-14 at 7.30.39 AM.png

The article states in part:

There's no air conditioning in the hot, dilapidated rural jail in Honduras where a handful of Tarpon Springs scuba divers have been detained for nearly six weeks. At night, mosquitoes eat them alive in their dingy cell. They subsist on meager rations of beans and rice. Gunshots ring out when the guards break up prisoner fights.

bvi explorer

Tenderfoot
Jun 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would never enter another country with firearms without knowing the law and abiding by it. Tips - Have just 1, it's all you need. If you enter an area that it is illegal and don't want to discard it, fiberglass it in somewhere. Hate to say it but this is their fault.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
I would never enter another country with firearms without knowing the law and abiding by it. Tips - Have just 1, it's all you need. If you enter an area that it is illegal and don't want to discard it, fiberglass it in somewhere. Hate to say it but this is their fault.

You Need to get your facts straight.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Tampa Bay Times article 6-24-2014

In part it states:

Since May 5, the six-member crew of a Tarpon Springs marine salvage boat has been jailed in Honduras, accused of smuggling arms into that Central American country. They have insisted they had a handful of guns on board only for protection against piracy in international waters.
A number of American lawmakers have been working to free the men, including Vice President Joe Biden and U.S. Rep. Gus Bilirakis, R-Palm Harbor.
Bilirakis said Monday afternoon that U.S. embassy officials in Honduras had informed him that the crew would be released soon.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tampa Bay Times article 6-24-2014

In part it states:

Since May 5, the six-member crew of a Tarpon Springs marine salvage boat has been jailed in Honduras, accused of smuggling arms into that Central American country. They have insisted they had a handful of guns on board only for protection against piracy in international waters.
A number of American lawmakers have been working to free the men, including Vice President Joe Biden and U.S. Rep. Gus Bilirakis, R-Palm Harbor.
Bilirakis said Monday afternoon that U.S. embassy officials in Honduras had informed him that the crew would be released soon.

Yea they have been hearing that song and dance since they were arrested nearly two months ago. The Obama administration is not on the best of terms with Honduras at the moment, so I doubt if the boys in prison have high hopes of release at this time.

OP
OP
O

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Yea they have been hearing that song and dance since they were arrested nearly two months ago. The Obama administration is not on the best of terms with Honduras at the moment, so I doubt if the boys in prison have high hopes of release at this time.
wrecldover1715, Our Government isn't the only one trying to get them out of jail.

Some VERY influential people in Panama and other Central American Countries that have considerable influence with Honduran Officials, have been using their influence for the last week to try and get them released. Hopefully, something works in Aqua Quests favor.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wrecldover1715, Our Government isn't the only one trying to get them out of jail.

Some VERY influential people in Panama and other Central American Countries that have considerable influence with Honduran Officials, have been using their influence for the last week to try and get them released. Hopefully, something works in Aqua Quests favor.

I hope you are correct Old Man, cuz life is not very pretty for these guys.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I hope you are correct Old Man, cuz life is not very pretty for these guys.

Good point, well made by old man.......always go private and try never to RELY on Governments, "their " interests are all they really care about.

Hopefully common sense will prevail soon and these guys will be able to get on with their adventurous lives...........

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
FREE! GOING HOME!

Tampa Ch. 10 news

Article

Tarpon Springs, Florida -- The six members of a diving crew who have been detained in Honduras since May 5 will be coming home.
According to the men's families, Congressmen Mike Fitzpatrick and Rep. Gus Bilirakis, the Aqua Quest crew -- Robert Mayne, James Kelly Garrett, Devon Butler, Nick Cook, Steve Matanich, and Michael Mayne -- were released after their case was dismissed.
The men were on a business trip to train a local tribe how to scuba dive and salvage mahogany logs from rivers to ease flooding when local authorities reportedly found several weapons, including an AK-47, on their vessel at an Honduran port. They were arrested and charged with smuggling weapons into the country.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
FREE! GOING HOME!

Tampa Ch. 10 news

Article

Tarpon Springs, Florida -- The six members of a diving crew who have been detained in Honduras since May 5 will be coming home.
According to the men's families, Congressmen Mike Fitzpatrick and Rep. Gus Bilirakis, the Aqua Quest crew -- Robert Mayne, James Kelly Garrett, Devon Butler, Nick Cook, Steve Matanich, and Michael Mayne -- were released after their case was dismissed.
The men were on a business trip to train a local tribe how to scuba dive and salvage mahogany logs from rivers to ease flooding when local authorities reportedly found several weapons, including an AK-47, on their vessel at an Honduran port. They were arrested and charged with smuggling weapons into the country.

G.I.B.,

That is great news! Thanks for posting it! I am sure that not only they are relieved to be free but their families and many friends are as well!

Frank

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
G.I.B.,

That is great news! Thanks for posting it! I am sure that not only they are relieved to be free but their families and many friends are as well!

Frank

Yeah, I'd only be too proud to get to go along on an excursion with these guys...

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, I'd only be too proud to get to go along on an excursion with these guys...

Yeah, and if you ever end up doing that you might want to leave the AK-47s back in the sunshine state.....
You can't always count on the Hondurian government's benevolence.....

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions