Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab 705
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

1helpdesk

Jan 22, 2005
DeadLizzard,

What I would recommend is joining Gold Prospectors association of America. They will give you locations, maps e.t.c. about mines and tailings you can have full access to as a member and keep everything you find. This is a pretty good group for all hunters, they are at www.goldprospectors.org. Everyone should check the site, you might be surprised where there is gold in the USA. ;D :o

Tigr50

Greenie
Sep 28, 2003
Roswell NM
Hi there:
I live in NM and have researched a lot of cache/detector sites for day trips and other prospecting jaunts. We have a claim in Lincoln National Forest, right next to the GPAA one on Rico Gultch. Rico will give you some color and the gold is very pure. But there is a huge amount of magnetite that will drive a White's crazy. I also recommend, although this is a future trip for my partner and I: the Caballo Mountains. More gold, silver, prospects (and prospectors!) there than almost anywhere else in NM. Since the Camino Real ran there and then through the Jorada de Muerto (take a lot of water), I think this is an excellent place for you to go in general. In the mountains, lots of Spanish mines, caches, and prospects--interesting specimens by all accounts. But you need to see where the active mining is going on so as not to get shot at. A good read: "The Lure of the Caballos" an ebook fully downloadable for free on the Internet. Nearby is Lake City, Hillsboro and other great places. All about 40 miles north-east of Las Cruces. I look forward to going myself and puttering around. (PS--I lived in Boulder, CO for about 30 years.)
Cheers and good luck. :)
Deb

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you give me the name of the county you live in & your surrounding counties, I'll give you a lead or two to research. These are well known, however, so you may already be aware of them.

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
lincoln county==north of ghost town white oaks a miner buried two ceramic jars of gold dust near the junction of two creeks and old cabin ruins...along the road to corona north of jicarilla mining district...white oaks was 15 miles east of ghost town ancho on slopes of baxter mountain...anchoe was 8 miles NW of jicarilla-----------------white oaks was a gold boomtown with over 4000 residents in early 1880s...large number of well known outlaws and bandits were known in this town-------------cache of spanish treasure buried on W side of lone mountain near white oaks--------------watson hoyle lived in white oaks in 1880s, supposedly buried several large caches near his mansion there------------1890s- jose analla was considered the richest man in lincoln county,,lived at white oaks,,supposed to have buried several large ollas, cans, and jars of $20.00 gold coins on his property--------------a 4 pound silver bar was recovered in 1882 in the banks of bonito creek near the old crossing at white oaks, believed to be a small part of large hoard there---------navajo medicine man hid tribes jewelry and valuables in a cave high in the cliffs on face of deep canyon below about 20 rock dwellings built by aztecs and never recovered-------------1680, padres fleeing gran quivira mission towards pueblo of isleta just east of el paso buried a treasure on a low hill that was never recovered----------1877,, malpais slim hawks found a cave of silver bars,,took what he could then could not relocate cave,,located at upper reaches of rio bonito, possibly in turkey or bear canyon, app 12 miles NW of ruidoso on the N slope of seirra blanca------------capitan mountains have very many tales of treasure, mines, caches, etc...---------many bandits used area of stinking springs as a base of sorts,,not far from lincoln--------------outlaw hangouts in 1870s, used as bases or campsites,, san patricio, stinking springs, comanche springs, mescalero springs, coyote springs, lloyds crossing of the pecos river, jicarilla springs, and los portales...many caches believed to be in area of these places....................................

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions