Not open for further replies.

Sunny Side

Banned
Sep 15, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope someone out there that knows what the hell they are doing can step up to the plate and be an honest evaluator someday. There are so many Charlatans and so many people that “ think they know” what the heck they are doing. We are loosing so many old time collectors, the gentleman collectors in this hobby. I had a friend ask my opinion on a piece tonight that was 8 balled by a very popular authenticator. He forgot that I once owned it!! I know where it was found when it was found and I know for a fact it is real. People make mistakes but WOW!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Something tells me that most all of us that frequent here would buy pieces if we had the disposable income.

well if I could find stuff like this a lot more often, I for one wouldn’t be buying them as much as I have.
B1C256B5-F9C7-4A2E-80F8-53FE4D6F34E1.jpeg

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sunny,

A wise man who purchases artifacts told me that, “Virtually everyone who has purchased relics will get burnt at one point or another.”

Out of curiosity, do you have any photos of the piece that wasn’t authenticated?

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

OP
OP
Sunny Side

Sunny Side

Banned
Sep 15, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sunny,

A wise man who purchases artifacts told me that, “Virtually everyone who has purchased relics will get burnt at one point or another.”

Out of curiosity, do you have any photos of the piece that wasn’t authenticated?

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Yes ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1577844875.333687.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1577844892.205863.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1577844909.454044.jpg

OP
OP
Sunny Side

Sunny Side

Banned
Sep 15, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was fast. That is because I gave up the booze.

OP
OP
Sunny Side

Sunny Side

Banned
Sep 15, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I could

Last edited:

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plus not everybody has, say, a Cumberland point in Texas, or Folsum points in New York.... but you can buy one from a state that does.

This is a very good point (pun not intended). Some of the Gunthers, Cahokia points, and other stuff that isn’t found in my area would make me consider buying artifacts. Mr. Reaper’s “States” collection is pretty awesome.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

OP
OP
Sunny Side

Sunny Side

Banned
Sep 15, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! Is that a MacCorkle?

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Yes it is and it was found on a dirt pile in SE Indian near Cincinnati two days before I hit it. Of course I was teed off. It is still the nicest bifurcate I have ever laid eyes on. A Texas man called it a fake.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I love looking for artifacts. I don't get to near as much as I used too. Between fishing and hunting for points my 1st wife decided to go elsewhere! I've always bought points. Usually from the finder or old stuff from farmers that was in a can in the shed. When on the job I would seek out the site people and ask them if they had anything as they are always turning over new dirt. I've asked dump truck drivers where they get the fill when a load comes in and someone found a point in it. I have bought several nice points here in Florida from people who find them while spreading out fill dirt. They will just stick them somewhere & forget about them. I've had old acquaintances contact me to sell me their stuff as they were no longer interested and needed the money.
If you choose to collect only personal finds that is fine but your collection will reflect limited color and variety. Grimm is blessed to live in a great place to collect and has an amazing collection. Still he has a collection from all 50 states as well. I have lived in Ohio & Florida and both areas are great for artifacts. Still I buy stuff from other areas when the chance arrives to diversify my collection. I keep my personal finds and my late brother's stuff separate from the rest but I enjoy all of it.

Kevin D

Nov 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Often provenance may be regarded as an effective substitute for a COA . And, sometimes the ownership record for an individual piece, might only be "skin deep" - that is, the collector who had an item last might matter most, regardless of who had it or where it might have come from before them.
in obtaining a COA on rare items, we have to be aware, no one can be counted on to be an expert on everything, and no one will do all of the research for you on what you own

To fully appreciate the history at the center of our artifacts, we have to also be the experts on them. The more we know from the education that we receive, the greater our appreciation for what we have. This would also require complete honesty in our evaluations so we dont fall prey to any wasteful wishful thinking.

The education process never ends, as more information comes available to us so do the tools we need to "read" our artifacts. and, in the process we will be more confident w/ better tools to know what we are buying in the future

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sunny Side

Sunny Side

Banned
Sep 15, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Often provenance may be regarded as an effective substitute for a COA . And, sometimes the ownership record for an individual piece, might only be "skin deep" - that is, the collector who had an item last might matter most, regardless of who had it or where it might have come from before them.
in obtaining a COA on rare items, we have to be aware, no one can be counted on to be an expert on everything, and no one will do all of the research for you on what you own

To fully appreciate the history at the center of our artifacts, we have to also be the experts on them. The more we know from the education that we receive, the greater our appreciation for what we have. This would also require complete honesty in our evaluations so we dont fall prey to any wasteful wishful thinking.

The education process never ends, as more information comes available to us so do the tools we need to "read" our artifacts. and, in the process we will be more confident w/ better tools to know what we are buying in the future

I agree with most of what you are saying. I am confused on the chain of custody thing. I don’t collect purely on provenance or particularly care who owned it. I do own pieces that are pictured etc.... but this is no consequence to me, it just helps the value of that particular piece- that’s all. I’m not in the selling business. I believe the sole reliance on such things as provenance is tantamount to paper chasing which can dull ones skill and talent. One thing I have learned after 30 years of collecting:

Collector A and Collector B share the same education and experience, but one of them will have the better “collectors eye”. It’s that simple. I don’t rely on past or present, just my experience and due diligence.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
The only artifact you can truly know is authentic, is the one you find yourself.

oh brother! now why would someone say that?

Using that train of thought, how could you know any point found wasn’t planted some at some time.
We do know people salted fields on occasion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread