Coach Stands Trial in Players Death

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
whites classic 5 id, and bounty hunter.
Coach Stands Trial in Player's Death

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Aug. 31) - A judge ruled Monday that prosecutors withheld evidence in the trial of an ex-high school football coach charged with reckless homicide in the death of one of his players.
The ruling came on the opening day of jury selection in David Jason Stinson's trial. The former Pleasure Ridge Park coach is also charged with wanton endangerment in the death of 15-year-old offensive lineman Max Gilpin, who collapsed during practice while running in 94-degree heat last August. Gilpin died three days later.Stinson's case may be the first time a coach has faced criminal charges in a player's on-field death.
Jefferson Circuit Judge Susan Schultz Gibson ruled that prosecutors should have told defense attorneys that Dr. William Smock, who has been a prosecution witness for 25 years, believed the lineman's death was not a homicide.Gibson also ruled that the 1,000 pages of medical records and personnel files were turned over to too late to give the defense a chance to sort through it. But the judge said if Stinson's attorneys wanted to use the evidence, they could.
Defense attorney Alex Dathorne said he would use the initial coroner's report that ruled Gilpin's death was an accident.
Gibson also said Smock, head of emergency medicine at the University of Louisville hospital, could testify. She ruled prosecutors must disclose any other experts they spoke with that gave opinions that could help the defense.
Smock testified Monday that he met with prosecutors in March about Gilpin's death, initiating the meeting as a courtesy. Then he was subpoenaed by the defense.
Smock said the amphetamine Adderall, which is prescribed to people with attention deficit disorder, likely contributed to Gilpin's death, not dehydration as prosecutors have claimed.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Coach Stands Trial in Player's Death

My gosh, you would have thought this would be on CNN, FOX, or some other news channel.

K

Kentucky Kache

G.I.B. said:
My gosh, you would have thought this would be on CNN, FOX, or some other news channel.

I guess they were too busy reporting on dog beatings on the left coast of Florida.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The coach had them out there practicing in 95 degree heat in full gear without breaks. The Best athlete on the team had already gone down from exhaustion. Then after Gilpin went down (with a body temperature of 105 degrees!), the coach didn't treat him himself--but rather let another assistant try to treat him. He had tried to threaten them earlier to keep them running, telling the kids that if any of them stopped, they would be kicked off the team.

IMO it is gross negligence that borders on Homicide.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions