Coarsegold, cal

tlmk3

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2008
Anyone tried panning or detecting in the coarsegold area? If so, are there any "open to the public"
areas that any of you have tried? Don't want to aggravate anyone, but am anxious to find at least
something other than a sore back and some river rocks. I've tried a LeTrap and pan but haven't
had any luck, so I've got a GM Vsat and will try standing up for a chance.
Tom

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The area has been hunted to death and most of it is private. Having said that there is some spots you can go but its hard to explain where they are. Be carefull of poisen oak...aa

OP
OP
T

tlmk3

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2008
aa battery,
I'm pretty good at Boy Scout tracking, I've tried Poison Switch with my pan, and Coarsegold Creek by the
Propane dealer. I've been told the road to Mariposa by Raymond may be good, but I haven't tried yet. I'd like
to play on Quartz Mtn but it looks like every inch is owned and protected. Care to divulge some other places
to try. Don't worry about poison oak..I'm from Mty-Salinas and I've developed radar for it. I've had to get shots
more than a couple of times to slow the rash, and once here I was introduced to your vines in the trees. I'd like
to get something however small, just to prove I did more than buy the equipment. So if you don't mind divulging a couple of locations between Ahwannee and Yosemite Lakes, I'd be most...no...realllly grateful.
Tom

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear if you go up stream at poison switch there is some small nuggets. I cant walk that far so i cant confirm that. As far as the part by the propane dealer has been hunted to death through the years.Most of my prospecting was done below Friant Dam by the fish hatchery but Eco nuts fenced it off for a bird sanctuary....aa

OP
OP
T

tlmk3

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2008
aa,
Thank you. Will go upstream and try. My knees are missing some cartilage but are still capable of moving me around. If I get something other than sore feet, I'll holler at you. Our club is having an outing close to the old Hildreth town at the end of the month. If you're interested. I've only been able to go to two outings, but plan to make this one. Maybe my luck will change. My first outing was pan only. I now have a LeTrap, couple of pans, a homemade hand dredge, and a Vsat. So I'll try all of them at the outing, but I'm just going to try the
Vsat over on Rd. 600.
Tom

OP
OP
T

tlmk3

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2008
As hard as it seems to find one, a "thank you" nugget is possible IF I have reallly good luck. By drainage
ditches, you're talking about the millions of seasonal streams that run through the hills? Haven't seen any
concrete ditches around my area. Have you had any luck in Ahwanee to Yosemite Lakes to hildreth area?
Tom

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hey Tom, I notice that you are from the "Mty/Salinas" area. I am from Salinas. Welcome aboard. I don't do nuggets though (gold in its natural state), as those geographic regions are just too far from our coastal area. I'm strictly a coin/relic hunter.

OP
OP
T

tlmk3

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2008
Howdy Tom,
I'm originally from Okla, but came out to Sal in '61. I just recently retired 3 yrs ago. Couldn't retire there on
the coast, and I've always been a mtn lover, so we moved over here to the foothills. Spent 27 years with PG&E maybe we crossed paths. I've worked pretty much all over the county. I joined a club last year but could only make two outings, and have yet to get anything except a sore back and a pan full of rocks and gold mica. I have a LeTrap, some pans, a homemade handdredge, and just recently a GM Vsat. I thought I'd try standing up for awhile, and use the sluicing as a second activity. I'm hoping my luck will change. I'm just having a bit of a problem figuring out how to differentiate the sounds in my headphones.
Tom
[email protected]

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Welcome aboard Tom. If you ever want to get out to coin-hunt (and have a coin machine), let me know and I'll show you a few easy zones around here.

flyspekau

Apr 2, 2008
Fresno Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Broken Bridge or Friant as was mentioned you can still get in and pan no ones going to say anything as yet .

I panned and sluiced it a few months ago and theres good old flyspek gold there plenty of it. dig at the rivers edge a foot or 2 down and sluice or pan its there but mini small stuff much better up above Millerton in the gorge .

Cruisin

Jul 23, 2007
As far as the part by the propane dealer has been hunted to death through the years

We went panning there on the curve by the propane place 3 or 4 weeks ago. It's about 2 miles from my house. Found absolutely zip this time. Anyway, no one else was around but I kept hearing rustling in the bushes pretty close to me. I'd look around, didn't see anything, & went back to panning. About 4 hours after we went home I saw on the highway patrol site that someone hit a bear cub right where we parked the car. :o It's funny but the first thing I thought of when I heard something in the bushes was "Bear!", then I disregarded that thought because no one has mentioned seeing bears around here this year. I'm sure glad I didn't take any snacks with me when we went panning!

flyspekau

Apr 2, 2008
Fresno Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
The bedrock cracks is where the golds going to be at down there cruisin. Guy I know went down there last month right in that area and got 2 small nuggets crevicing, also dig into the banks might get lucky I never have down there myself...

Poor bear hope it survived

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago an old guy lived above the creek on the northside of 41 and as a child he told us of his digging and panning for gold.I asked my father if he was rich and dad said no he lives in a bus. ??? I still think the old guy had a few $$$ put away.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread