Cob Found Upstate Ny , Need The Experts !!

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEY MOE! Split figure poke between the eyes ???why certainly !!!! nuc nuc nuc.

Moe...where do I say "Lima didn't produce Hapsburg shield cobs during Philip II" ???
Read cafefully...my posts. I will make the text bigger next time :wink:

Trez :icon_jokercolor:

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites, Tesoro, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"LIMA - Can't be...They never minted Shield cobs after the late 1580s."

I was a little confused by the statement above. I just wanted to clarify that there are records of some Lima 1592 (Diego de la Torre assayer) shield types cobs...

Yes, I love the Three Stooges! :blob3:

Cheers :D
Moe

OP
OP
Derek752

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Moe (fl) said:
After closer observation this shield type cob appears to be a Philip-II (1556-1598) not Philip-IV as I suggested earlier. Because of this fact this cob cannot be from Colombian mints which started producing after 1620.

I am now thinking that this cob could be Potosi, Lima, or Panama mint. Trez was correct!

I am not sure but can almost see a P and a star * on the left side of the shield. The P is above. The star is in the square below. But, the star may also be the lion or a '4' (for 4-reales). If the P and star were there it would be a Lima cob.

How much does it weigh? from the pic it looks like a 2R or 4R.

-Moe

It weighs apprx 6.3 grams

D.

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
Yeah, I'd go with Potosi 2 real. The planchet is really heavy and looks like a Potosi coin similar to Atocha and land finds. The planchet does have a lot of strike cracks for such a small coin, but that is not unusual.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread