BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Where in the Northeast?

It is possible on some New England beaches..we have some good wrecks around. I have seen a fair amount of cobs found.I got 2 myself in March of this year..8 Reale cobs dated "1670" I saw a bunch of 2+4 reale milled coins dated 1714,15+18 that were found in april/may 2007 after a storm...these were wet sand finds.

OP
OP
je177

je177

Dec 27, 2006
Southeastern MA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300. Ace250
I've read about your finds. I'm jealous. I live in MA aswell. I use an ACE 250 and I haven't had the best finds as of yet. However, I don't get out often. I'm looking to find some older coins on land, but I wonder if my machine has the depth to find the older ones. Any advice on hunting MA be great. Thanks.

J

Southeastern MA

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Its getting harder to find spots

All I can say is do research,Knock on doors for permission get on some private lands. Hunt as often as you can..never know where that old coin is gonna turn up!! look for over grown areas that most likely were open 200+ yrs ago...good luck!

Steve in Cali.

Sep 6, 2007
je177 said:
I use an ACE 250 and I haven't had the best finds as of yet. However, I don't get out often. I'm looking to find some older coins on land, but I wonder if my machine has the depth to find the older ones. Any advice on hunting MA be great. Thanks.

That Ace250 should go plenty deep enough if you're hunting land. I have found several nice silver cobs in Panama hunting on land and they were not that deep in the ground. None of them were deeper than five inches which a 250 can do easily.

OP
OP
je177

je177

Dec 27, 2006
Southeastern MA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300. Ace250
Thanks for the info. That's what I wanted to hear. I had this feeling that my machine would not reach the older coins. I don't have any knowledge of how deep the older coins are usually found. I know it depends on where your hunting, i.e falling leaves, decomposition etc. That's why I try to get as many opinions as possible.

Thanks,

J

carolus2

Aug 29, 2007
Many cob info at : robcar.net

good luck

Piratillo

je177 said:
How uncommon is it to find Cobs on dry beach in the northeastern US? How about away from the beach? I'm a newbie to MD'ing and would appreciate any info on cobs.

Thanks,

J

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread