Cobalt Silver

onlylar

Feb 2, 2007
Northwest NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Spent a week in Cobalt Ontario a few years back. Cobalt was an old Silver Boom town in the early part of the 1900's, massive trenches of high grade silver ore right on the surface and shallow mines. It made many an ordinary man rich. Now its like every other abandoned mining town, the mines are all but gone, just deep trenches once lined with silver, a museum, and many a tale of wonderous strikes told by the locals.
Anyway, I was detecting near an old foundation of a small miners hut, near an outdoor fireplace, and low and behold, inside the firepit, I got tremendous signals, like I went over some big iron lid or something,,,dug down and there I found seven silver laden high grade junks of ore. The old prospector must have buried them there. I must say they were heavy. I brought them back to Jersey, sold some of them at mineral shows, but kept the biggest chunk, and a few more pieces. Definately was my one and only cache hit. My El Doraldo

Attachments

• silverCobalt.jpg
    silverCobalt.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 581

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sure that brought you a hefty chunk of change! Thats a find of a lifetime!

Congrats, I love silver!!!

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice specimen, I've read the story of Cobalt, Fossis...............

ZoSo71

Nov 5, 2006
Somewhere near Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's DFX / Modded BH Land Star
That's a nice hunk of Silver!

I drive through Cobalt Ontario 4 times a year on my way to the cabin.
never thought of it as a silver town! My favorite color!

Congrats
ZoSo71

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread