Cobbs Blades Question

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Can anyone provide a more specific info. on Cobbs blades/Knives (roughly triangular, left edges beveled) than just "Early Archaic ?"

What I'm hoping for is even a clue as to the point type(s) found associated with them. On a site occupied throughout that period this wouldn't mean much. But on a site that produces these and only one (or a few) Early Archaic point types, knowing which ones would at least be a step in the right direction.

Thank you in advance.

Upvote 0
K

Keokukjeff

Cobbs are not found in the Ozarks...................
But I have ask the same question before.......................
They are a type.....because so many are found that look mirror image,
But as far as what they are related too.............I have no ideal
We dont have Blade's with a type name in the Ozarks!

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Overstreet on Cobbs knives " These are un-notched preforms for early archaic beveled types such as Decatur, Dovetail, Lostlake, etc. Has been found with St. Charles(dovetails) in a cache at the Olive Branch site and dated to 9300-9400."

I'm finding out that Overstreet is not the go too source on accurate info...take that with a grain of salt.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Cobbs Blade in the first two photos and the Blade in the third picture are from the same site as the other points in the next few pictures. It is definitely an Archaic site.

Attachments

• Steve Valentine Collection 174.jpg
    Steve Valentine Collection 174.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 397
  • Steve Valentine Collection 176.jpg
    Steve Valentine Collection 176.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 360
  • Steve Valentine Collection 157.jpg
    Steve Valentine Collection 157.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 412
  • Steve Valentine Collection 164.jpg
    Steve Valentine Collection 164.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 375
  • Steve Valentine Collection 140.jpg
    Steve Valentine Collection 140.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 418
  • Steve Valentine Collection 179.jpg
    Steve Valentine Collection 179.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 373
  • Steve Valentine Collection 157.jpg
    Steve Valentine Collection 157.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 397
  • Steve Valentine Collection 122.jpg
    Steve Valentine Collection 122.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 387
  • Steve Valentine Collection 121.jpg
    Steve Valentine Collection 121.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 389
  • Steve Valentine Collection 176.jpg
    Steve Valentine Collection 176.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 399
  • Steve Valentine Collection 175.jpg
    Steve Valentine Collection 175.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 381
  • Steve Valentine Collection 174.jpg
    Steve Valentine Collection 174.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 393
  • Steve Valentine Collection 164.jpg
    Steve Valentine Collection 164.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 382
  • Steve Valentine Collection 123.jpg
    Steve Valentine Collection 123.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 394
  • Steve Valentine Collection 140.jpg
    Steve Valentine Collection 140.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 383
  • Steve Valentine Collection 179.jpg
    Steve Valentine Collection 179.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 388

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Lost Lake and Dove's are what I most associate them with. I've found them on sites with Pine Trees as well, and occasionally Daltons.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I had a longer post typed out, and then I lost it while checking something else.... >:(

The semi-condensed version:

This isn't really a direct response to your question, just some of my thoughts on what a Cobbs is... As a nice, visual point of reference, check out the Ripley Show thread. Between the different posts there are several classic Cobbs knives in there. To me, most of them look like well used relics, not preforms for some other type... In fact, if you look at any classic Cobbs knives or any description of the their traits, you are looking at the product of a used and resharpened tool not a quarry blank or preform. I'm not sure I could easily identify a first stage Cobbs from a Stanfield, or any other number of archaic bifaces, but when they are sharpened down it's a pretty easy point type to id.

If you imagine notches on any of the Cobbs posted in that thread it's hard to get a normal looking dovetail without major rework on the base. I can see making the blade wide on a preform if you are going to use it as a knife (the way many paleo groups used bifaces), but why make the base so wide and out of proportion with any of the types associated with it? It just seem risky for an area that isn't really used as a cutting edge.

Aside from the single cache of non-typical examples at the Olive Branch cache (which is a unique cache happy site), I haven't heard of them being excavated with Dovetails in direct context. That said, being a tool used in the early archaic I'm not surprised they would be found together. Basically, I think they are like full groove axes and ball bannerstones, tools used by groups in the Archaic but not necessarily a diagnostic artifact of any one group/cluster.

Aside from Kirk sites and some Bifurcate type sites, many of which appear to be single component, most early archaic sites produce a mix of everything... And Cobbs are found occasionally on sites that produce some or all of them. I haven't heard of a field/site that produced only Doves and no other archaic types. I'd bet some others have noticed, but in many areas in the Ohio River Valley there are ridges away from the rivers that produce a wide mix of archaic points.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Anyone have an idea on the material type of this Cobbs? It's from Ky., seller said Sonora like but I don't think it is. Could it be Wayne County blue or white?

Attachments

• phpFhaM2gPM.jpg
    phpFhaM2gPM.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 337
  • php4jYRIJPM.jpg
    php4jYRIJPM.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 355

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions