cobbs or a scaper?

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
over the years of hunting relics I have picked up a number of cobbs blades. during the 2020 season I picked up 8.

some of the nicer "duckbill" scrapers I have found are made of higher quality flint, like this relic. most I found have been Harrison County, but I have at least 3 made of flintridge.

all exhibit a similar trait, the large curved flake, well worked on the topside.

this relic has similar working of both.

It more like a cobbs though than
1000004155.jpg
scraper.
comments?
1000004154.jpg

Upvote 14

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is a Cobb,.... Nice

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
I’ve never seen a scraper that nice. For some reason they left the end like that. I have a small Cobbs with a removed flake on the end looks like a chip but isn’t maybe it’s a trait they used.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks killer. Can someone tell me what a Cobbs is?

They are early to middle archaic blades, general consensus is they were used as knives although some have said preforms, for me, I've seen to many with secondary flaking to be a preform.

Jorgeke

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2021
over the years of hunting relics I have picked up a number of cobbs blades. during the 2020 season I picked up 8.

some of the nicer "duckbill" scrapers I have found are made of higher quality flint, like this relic. most I found have been Harrison County, but I have at least 3 made of flintridge.

all exhibit a similar trait, the large curved flake, well worked on the topside.

this relic has similar working of both.

It more like a cobbs though than View attachment 2145521 scraper.
comments? View attachment 2145520
Very nice,

How many in total do you have?

It is perfect

Mortenson

Jun 11, 2020
Illinois
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's amazing. What kind of spot would a guy need to be looking at to find something like this? We walk mostly in our tilled farm fields, but I think there's no chance of finding something so large and thin. Years of implement abuse seems to have the big stuff all broke into halves if not quarters or worse.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's amazing. What kind of spot would a guy need to be looking at to find something like this? We walk mostly in our tilled farm fields, but I think there's no chance of finding something so large and thin. Years of implement abuse seems to have the big stuff all broke into halves if not quarters or worse.
I had by far my best luck walking creeks, streams and rivers. Due to erosion from rain snd high water the banks crumble into the waterway and artifacts are washed downstream from the current and heavy rains.

Village were built along the waterways, they needed constant supply of fresh water, for me spring fed creeks and streams produce the most and sandbars in rivers were also good.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don’t know if it’s the angle but that little lip on what would be the leading edge of the scraper would probably make it less functional, I’d go cobbs too but i definitely see where you’re coming from.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread