cobra - viper underwater detectors are they any good

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
i had the other thread about cheaper uw machines.thanx 4 replies.someone directed me to kellyco. i have bought from them several times in the past.i just didnt think to look there.because i didnt think there would be any new totally uw machines for the aprox 300 bux i have to spend.now i see the viper uw for 299.and the viper trident at 349.i am not familiar with the cobra viper name. i know kellyco usually only carry quality machines.but im hesitant to trust a name i dont know.anybody ever try this brand.

Upvote 0

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the overall consensus that you will receive from everyone here will be a resounding NO!!!!!!!!!!!! If you read the reviews of the unit by persons other than dealers who sell them, I believe you can make up your own mind. The fact is that you need a well constructed unit that will stand up to the elements that water hunting throws at a machine. I have not used one but there is a reason for that. I read what others were saying and I knew right away that I did not want to waste my money. The bulk of the good reviews were by folks who use it to hunt fresh water only or use it very little to hunt water at all. The surf and salt water is a whole different ball game!

I would suggest that you do yourself a favor and get that thought out of your mind if you can. A good used American (Garrett) (Whites) (Tesoro) (Fisher) or Australian/(Minelab) unit has a reasonable cost for what you get and will last you a long time and will perform to a level that will keep you from getting discouraged early.

Cobra land machines from the late 1980's and early 1990's were actually pretty good machines. They were made and distributed by a company out of Texas and I even considered becoming a dealer for them, (I have never been a dealer for any company). Their King Cobra machine was really pretty good for its day. I was heavy into coin and relic hunting at the time and I wrote many articles for Western & Eastern Treasures during that time in my life and was at the top of my game back then relative to technology and techniques. I am not sure of the history of what happened but the parent company folded and Kellyco bought the name I believe. Kellyco has always done good by me but saying that, I have to say that I have always bought quality American Made products from them. I purchased White's machines only from Kellycoback when I did business with them regularly. The quality of the Cobra machine offered now is nothing compared to that early land machine. I am pretty sure that they are manufactured overseas. China to be exact on the country.

Think about it long and hard before you make that decision.

Good Luck,

Jim

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
(said while hanging head low) I own a Viper Trident.

I purchased it prior to becoming a TN participant, and learning things. It's a plastic piece of dog crap. It does go beep though.

The machine is now kept for my grandsons beach adventures while visiting here in Florida. It uses a 9volt battery, can get dropped in the water, covered with sand and rinsed off, and roll around the beach without Grandpa getting too excited. The boys just love finding bottle caps. They have quite a collection that they are very proud of.

I was too embarrassed to list it for sale here on TN.

But, on the other hand... if you just really really really got to have one..... ;D I know just the guy....

minelab rick

Jul 1, 2006
Charlottesville, Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
The best advice I can give you is take the above advice. I purchased the Cobra Beach Magnet a couple of years ago. VERY disatisfied with the machine's overall performance. I did find a few things with it in the sand but not even junk in the water. I made a hasty decision based on cost and it has definetly cost me! It stays on the shelf and I will probably let the kids use it.

Rick

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I  bought  one  and  didn't  even take it  out  of  the  box  .  The BOX  was  stamp ,, made  in china .. That  sucker was  on ebay in flash and  sold  thank God ..  got  my  money  back and  bought  the  real  deal...  minelab excal 1000 and the sovereign GT also made by minelab Guzz1 ;D ;D

JoeSWFla

Jun 15, 2007
I would suggest a multi-freq. detector or a PI if your hunting saltwater.
The single freq. detectors chatter way to much and can even get to
the point they're almost useless when around too much mineralization.
Can be great in dry sand,but when you get near the water,watch out.
Been down that road in the early years. That included the single freq.
machines with the so called saltwater mode.Good luck in choosing.HH Joe

tabfinder

Jul 9, 2006
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Nocta Simplex
scrounger said:
ok im convinced.no viper.shame on kellyco for offering if its junk.i didnt think they would do that
:( Unfortunate...but true. Like they say...a sucker born every minute. I too bought not 1....but 2 of these. Got the scratch and dent sale for 99 bucks for both. One needed a wire soldered on the battery connector....and it worked "fine". Coldn't figure the other one out so I put them both on ebay. One that was fixed went for 200....the other for 55. I got lucky......it was a total p.o.s. as a detector.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
no they are not good. stick with the major brands and you cant go wrong, Tesoro, Garrett, Whites, Minelab,

Hangingfor8

Dec 16, 2007
New Smyrna Beach, Florida 32168
Detector(s) used
Minelab and Aquapulse
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I received one as a birthday gift from my mother. I ask my mom if she would be upset or hurt if I wanted to exchange it for an upgraded detector. She was fine with this. I called Kellyco and they told me there would be a 30% restocking fee. I flipped and told the guy he was out of his mind. They were pretty tough about it till I threaten them with the Better Business Bureau.... Then and only then did they come around. Kellyco wanted to know why I didn't want their "high quality machine" I laughed at them.... it did cost me shipping, but it was worth it. I bought a minelab excal and have never been happier

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
scrounger said:
ok im convinced.no viper.shame on kellyco for offering if its junk.i didnt think they would do that
:o :o ??? Oh yes Kellco sells a lot of junk junk & more junk you have to go with brand names and not Kellycos brand.Look at some of the free stuff they give you with a detector dollar store stuff.......==Jim==

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread