Cobra

gtlfindings

Jan 11, 2007
ny
Detector(s) used
TESORO DeLeon
I know Ive been asking alot of questions lately about detectors but I want to besure I get a good detector for a decent price...I figured I can shop through treasure net at kellyco and find something...I really want to search beach, parks coins, relics, pretty much anything Iwant a good all around detector thats easy to use... I saw a few like the mp5 Which some have said no good....I saw this:
http://www.kellycodetectors.com/cobra/beachmagnet-buy.htm
how good is this brand of detector??
I see that everyone says its a matter of preference but I don't really know much...I have a bounty hunter 2...Very basic had some trouble I lost the manual and have issue balacing it near the seawater....still I found some clad and pulltabs pretty deep...And the coil is waterproof....But kelly co says its for kids....Hmmmm..Does anyone think it could still be a good detector??? Like I said I am a novice...Not looking to spend more than 3 and change tops......I would put an ad on Craigslist for a metal detector just want to know what types are good ,reliable ,sturdy and easy to use.Everyone on this forum has been so helpful I appreciate the time!!
Gerald

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are much better off sticking to either Whites, Garrett, Tesoro, or Minelab manufactures instead of the kid stuff. Most of these Off Name brands are China junk and the warranty is nill to worthless. Operation iffy and quality materials a no-no. There are plenty of great used major brands on ebay that can be had at a good price, but your best option is to bite the bullet and buy a new major brand. If you go with the cheap, that is the performance you'll get.

Time is the only thing you never get back, why waste it swinging a detector that isn't up to the task!!! :icon_scratch:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Please, like Sandman said, buy something good.

I wasted my time with a cheap detector and all it did was frustrate me. I had to wait for a year to get my GTI, and it was worth it. My next machine will be an Infinium... in about a year...

Willy

Buy a used detector. You'll save a ton of cash and get a far better machine for your money. If you're worried about getting ripped off, check out the number of posts a person has made and how long he/she has been a member of the forum. See how much stuff has been sold by the person on the classifieds and you can even ask for feedback. There are a lot of good people here giving some real nice deals. As an aside, I think Monty still has his GTI 2500 package for sale.
Another thing you might want to keep in mind is that, regardless of manufacturer, the low end machines are really limited in their applications. Any company that claims that their $100 detector makes for a bang-up all-round detector is talking through the same hole they cr@p from. On the other hand, top of the line can be bottom of the barrel. For example, a mid-range ML XTerra 70 will totally annihilate a top of the line ML Explorer when it comes down to prospecting for gold, especially the small stuff. It really comes down to knowing what you want to do and getting the appropriate detector. Also, be wary of the fanboys, of any brand; they'll hype the machine up to no end. A lot of the claims are really dependent on the operator and the ground matrix. Even side by side depth tests can be very misleading insofar as (aside from coil differences) settings on different detectors might very well not be equivalent. For example, a half-way setting in sensitivity might very well be different on 2 detectors if one has a linear taper and the other is a logarithmic one and will really skew the results. ..Willy.

Jdubya

May 19, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
semperfi61 said:
you would be surprised the amount of chinese junk floating along the dealers.kellyco sells the cobra,mpx,titan which are chinese junk.stick with american products,even in good brands are using cheap chinese parts.use caution,find out what you are buying!!

Bill, the titans are made in El Paso, texas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread