Coca Cola Mystery

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I picked up a few worthwhile items yesterday, one of which is a bit of a mystery. No mystery in these items:

DSC05014.JPG DSC05008.JPG
A cool looking retro pencil sharpener made in Czechoslovakia. Only found one of these on eBay. That one sold for $15. Paid $5.

DSC05002.JPG
A Fiestaware pitcher bought for $2. Probably worth $20 - $30.

DSC05004.JPG
A box of about 100 National Geographic maps from 1930 - 1970. About half of them are from the 30s and 40s. Paid $10. Probably worth about $100.

DSC05012.JPG
We needed a bedside floor lamp for the "antique room". Picked this one up for $45. I really like the green marble ball and cylinder on the post.

And now for the mystery....

DSC05009.JPG DSC05011.JPG
This Coke item is a cardboard replica of an historic Coca-Cola bottling plant building built in Los Angeles in the 1930s. There is quite a bit of information about this building on the web (see this page for example: Big Orange Landmarks: No. 138 - Coca-Cola Building). However, I can't find anything about this cardboard replica. I have looked through hundreds of Coke listings on eBay and can't find anything even remotely similar to it. The item is in great shape and it clearly has some age but there is no date on it.

The LA Municipal Arts Department was formed in 1925 and is now titled the Department of Cultural Affairs. According to their web site, the Department was reorganized in 1980 which is, presumably, when they made the name change. The building was designated a Cultural Monument in 1975 so this piece was probably produced in the late 1970s. What I am not clear about is who produced it. If it wasn't produced by the Coca-Cola company, they must have, at the very least, given it their imprimatur. It seems odd to me that the Municipal Arts Department would have produced such an item but then it has the official City of LA logo on it. Did the Municipal Arts Department run a gift shop or something?

Anyway, I think it is a cool item. It has a lot going for it; Coke item, great condition, famous architect, historic building, etc. As almost everybody knows, there are tons of Coca-Cola collectors out there so I'm hoping a few of them would be excited to bid on it. I have no idea what it might sell for. BTW, I paid $5 for it.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like nice buys there !! New to this sales thing learning by looking at post here =)

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I am pretty sure that the Fiesta is Post-86, meaning it was made after 1986, but you probably knew that already.

OP
OP
T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't even try to figure out dates for Fiestaware any more - too confusing. I know this stuff is very popular but I never buy common Fiesta pieces like plates and only buy serving pieces like this if the price is really cheap - like this one.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat finds. I think you will do better than $15 on the sharpener. The one that sold had been listed a few times, but the seller was in Bulgaria and shipping was high.

The Coke plant model is very cool. I would probably list it as an auction and let collectors decide what it's worth.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it's my imagination, but the sharpener looks like a high heel shoe. I've never seen one like it. Very cool!

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it's my imagination, but the sharpener looks like a high heel shoe. I've never seen one like it. Very cool!

Exactly what I thought as well.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
You can't really tell from the photos but, except for the "bridge" on top, this is a single sheet of cardboard. It's not a puzzle. You fold at the creases, insert various tabs into slots and, VOILA!, you have a building. One of the first things I did was to open the top and see if there were any markings inside. Turns out the sides of the building are part of a larger piece of cardboard that folds down inside to provide more structural support. I haven't completely unfolded it so there may be some other markings somewhere.

Jeff, I'm a little surprised the one you found sold for only $19.99. I may be wrong but I'm guessing this is a rather rare Coke item so I would have expected it to bring a much higher price. I'm thinking of listing it on eBay as an auction with a much higher starting bid just to gauge interest. With Christmas coming up fairly soon, I'm thinking this might be just the item for that Coke collector who has "everything".

@GibH - Thanks for info on that other sharpener. I hadn't noticed the location and shipping cost details. I was a little disappointed in the $15 sales price because my initial sense of value on it was more in the $30 - $50 range. With the info you provided, Gib, I am more confident that my instincts were correct. With a little luck I will get a couple of bidders pushing the price up.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree ! I would think there should be a Bidding war on this from Coke Collectors.

Perhaps it just didn't get seen on the other site

OP
OP
T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I figured out what this is. Take a look at these photos:

DSC05085.JPG DSC05080.JPG DSC05084.JPG

First one to get it right gets a big, wet virtual kiss!

OR... maybe somebody else has a better theory than mine.

I also have an idea about the distribution of this item but I would love to hear other ideas about this item's origin.

Last edited:

blindbug

Oct 16, 2012
Louisville, KY
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first saw this, I thought it was a commemorative 12-pack case. The old aluminum cans, as far as I can remember, are just a bit shorter than the cans that you buy today... so the height is probably just about right. I WOULD have guessed that it was a 90th anniversary (1976) commemorative, but it doesn't say 90th on it anywhere.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to drive by that building all the time. If you are in so Cal, I would stop by and see if they know anything about it. Perhaps you can find an email online?

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking it probably came from a souvenir shop in an L.A. museum.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread