~ Cocos Island ~

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
~ Cocos Island ~

There is an enormous amount of history on Cocos Island
I'll get the story started, hoping other members will jump in and help build up the thread​

~*~

Immense quantities of gold, silver, jewels, and church treasures amounting to from
$65,000,000 to $100,000,000, (1968 dollars), allegedly lie hidden on Cocos, an
island four miles long and six miles wide in the Pacific Ocean southwest of Costa Rica.
The spot is internationally famous among treasure hunters and more than 400
expeditions, large and small,have visited the island. They have dug, blasted, tunneled,
and searched for the loot of Lima.

Since the 1880's Cocos has been visited annually by small and large digging
parties, yachtsmen, explorers, sealers, whalers, millionaires, and just plain treasure hunters.
Franklin Delano Roosevelt stopped there and turned his crew loose
on the island for a day's treasure hunting with "Go and get it boys"

Cocos, not to be confused with the Cocos-Keeling Islands in the Indian Ocean, lies
in the Pacific Ocean. It is about 550 miles due west of Panama City and belongs to
Costa Rica. the nearest port is Puntarenas, Costa Rica, some 300 miles away.
There are only two safe anchorages and landing places; one named Wafer Bay
after Lionel Wafer, a buccaneer who landed on the island with Captain Edward Davis
in 1685. Wafer described the island as pleasant, with water pouring down from the
unexplored high cliffs, "as out of a bucket". A charming place, and delightful to several
of the senses at once.​

OP
OP
S

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cliffs hundreds of feet high rise abruptly from the ocean and the mountain peaks
of the interior have been surveyed at 2,768 feet. The island has a long rainy season
and is covered with dense, tropical growth. In the past, the island was used as a
penal colony. It was first famous to buccaneers, pirates, whalers, sealers, and early
navigators as a watering place. Since 1860 the island has been known chiefly as a
treasure hunting site.

In 1934, a stock prospectus of Treasure Recovery, Ltd., described the Cocos Island Treasures:

"Gold bars and specie worth 11 million dollars from rifling churches in Peru;
12 million dollars buried by Thompson; buried by the notorious pirate Bonito
of the Bloody Sword 350 tons; by Captain Davis the buccaneer 3000,000 pounds
weight in silver dollars, 733 gold bars, also 7 kegs of gold coin"
This does not list the jewels, and it all adds up to around $100,000,000
worth of treasure.

The 1931 prospectus of Cocos Island Treasure, Ltd., described the island as follows:
The story of the treasure which lie hidden on this romantic and beautiful Island is
colorful in the extreme and covers nearly three centuries.
It brings together notorious pirate chieftains, roisterous buccaneers, stately galleons,
grandees and cavaliers, heroes and patriots, common thieves, mutineers, murderers,
priests and soldiers of fortune.​

OP
OP
S

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First comes the story of the most notable of all buccaneers associated with the island,
that stout English pirate, Captain Edward Davis. We discover him sailing out of
Chesapeake Bay with an 18-gun ship, the "Revenge", after capturing a fine Danish
ship and sinking it after removing everything on board, and then sailing up the coast of
South America, taking Spanish ships and looting Spanish towns.
Davis became the leader of no less than a thousand buccaneers, made many captures
and looted the city of Leon in Nicaragua. Before long he found that to control a thousand
irresponsible buccaneers was too great of a task. He broke away with a selected company,
captured the town of Guayaquil with gold and jewels valued at many millions of dollars.
All this treasure he took to Cocos Island and cached it there,
but he never returned to the site to claim the loot.​

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello SanMan there has been much posted here on treasurenet over the years already. What would be nice is Cocos Island treasure having its own sub forum?

I have not got the heart to repeat whats already have been posted.

Kanacki

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, I'm not so sure Cocos needs it's own Forum since odds
are as long as the Earth doesn't get hit
with an Asteroid, & The powers that be worry more about Survival Then who gets the Treasure,
No one will ever get permission to search for and Confirm or Dis-affirm
any of the Tales.

there were several Hunts by Woman Treasure Hunters Also.

Mme Durand Possibly never came back,
or Just never spoke to reporters after.

Davies made at least 2 Trips, & Searched a Cave on the Island.

Jane Sands went in '22 I Think

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...men-s-duel-pirate-treasure-coco-s-1912-a.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello SanMan there has been much posted here on treasurenet over the years already. What would be nice is Cocos Island treasure having its own sub forum?

I have not got the heart to repeat whats already have been posted.

Kanacki

Thanks for saying that, but sub forums are for popular subjects.
I doubt there is more than a half a dozen people that have any interest in Cocos Island.

Now a days it's a national park.
You can't even pick up a seashell let alone dig for treasure.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for saying that, but sub forums are for popular subjects.
I doubt there is more than a half a dozen people that have any interest in Cocos Island.

Now a days it's a national park.
You can't even pick up a seashell let alone dig for treasure.

Yep it is a Shame ! Because it is Interesting !

OP
OP
S

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep it is a Shame ! Because it is Interesting !

People go diving there.
But of course that's off shore.
And people go there to sight see, and get a sun tan.

Cocos -2.gif

Cocos-4.JPG

Cocos -3.jpg

OP
OP
S

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know guys, before I started this thread I searched to see if there was already a thread on Cocos Island.

I must have screwed up the search somehow.
Maybe I typed Coco.

"Perhaps a nice mod would merge/slide this content over to the Brit and Amer Cocos thread"

Anyone know of someone like that?

"cough"jeff"cough","cough"

LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread