Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does this look like a KGC coded photograph? (Ever since I read that book by Bob Brewer, I have been paying more attention to old pictures.)
This is an Osage Indian man and his family---note the hat pulled down over one eye and the two coins in his hands. Looks to me like he's trying to 'say' something. Has anyone ever heard if there were Native American Sentinels?
This picture isn't mine--I found it online and thought it was worth sharing.

Attachments

• Charley Antwine - Copy (462x482).jpg
    Charley Antwine - Copy (462x482).jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,575

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Look closely at the child, he's giving the traditional KGC sign. All you have to
do is find the residence they lived in and dig it up. :tongue3:

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lastleg said:
Look closely at the child, he's giving the traditional KGC sign. All you have to
do is find the residence they lived in and dig it up. :tongue3:
Its just fun to speculate sometimes, lastleg.....It was kind of a neat photograph and I wanted to share it. I don't know enough about the KGC to say whether it is or not, but I thought it might be of interest to those who do.
I do wonder why he was holding those coins like that, though? Maybe he was showing people how rich the white man was making him by buying up the black gold on his people's land.
Thanks!

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
A lot of unknowns here. My thought, contact the current Osage tribal community and ask one of them if the coins have a tribal significance.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
21stTNCav said:
A lot of unknowns here. My thought, contact the current Osage tribal community and ask one of them if the coins have a tribal significance.
I'm sure there's probably a reason for all the 'unknowns' in this picture, but it just struck me as odd. Doesn't the little boy look scared? And I just noticed the flask tucked into the mans waistband.
Thanks 21stTNCav!

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
The only American Indian to EVER attain the rank of General in any American army was the Cherokee Chief Brigadier General Stand Watie CSA. He was the last Confederate General to lay down his arms. He was closely affiliated with William Anderson, Captian Quantrell, and General Earl Van Dorn. I think the link between the Confederacy and the tribes in Indian territory at that time were quite strong and thus KGC ties would have been probible. I am still looking for the significance of the coins. I will holler back when a couple of sites I have left messages and links in holler back at me. This pic is too cool to not figure out what the meaning is, KGC or not.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
21stTNCav said:
The only American Indian to EVER attain the rank of General in any American army was the Cherokee Chief Brigadier General Stand Watie CSA. He was the last Confederate General to lay down his arms. He was closely affiliated with William Anderson, Captian Quantrell, and General Earl Van Dorn. I think the link between the Confederacy and the tribes in Indian territory at that time were quite strong and thus KGC ties would have been lucky. I am still looking for the significance of the coins. I will holler back when a couple of sites I have left messages and links in holler back at me. This pic is too cool to not figure out what the meaning is, KGC or not.
Thanks 21stTNCav! We don't know if the Osages ever were involved with the KGC, but this photo was so cool that I just had to share it. Let me know if you find out anything.

cccalco

Jul 16, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
21stTNCav said:
The only American Indian to EVER attain the rank of General in any American army was the Cherokee Chief Brigadier General Stand Watie CSA. He was the last Confederate General to lay down his arms. He was closely affiliated with William Anderson, Captian Quantrell, and General Earl Van Dorn. I think the link between the Confederacy and the tribes in Indian territory at that time were quite strong and thus KGC ties would have been probible. I am still looking for the significance of the coins. I will holler back when a couple of sites I have left messages and links in holler back at me. This pic is too cool to not figure out what the meaning is, KGC or not.

Watie and some of his relatives were known KGC members and he did have some Osage serve under his command.
CCC

"Watie was promoted to Brigadier General on May 6, 1864, and given command of the 1st Indian Brigade, which contained 2 regiments of Mounted Rifles and 3 battalions of Cherokee, Seminole and Osage infantry."
http://www.mycivilwar.com/leaders/watie_stand.htm

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cccalco said:
21stTNCav said:

Watie and some of his relatives were known KGC members and he did have some Osage serve under his command.
CCC

"Watie was promoted to Brigadier General on May 6, 1864, and given command of the 1st Indian Brigade, which contained 2 regiments of Mounted Rifles and 3 battalions of Cherokee, Seminole and Osage infantry."
http://www.mycivilwar.com/leaders/watie_stand.htm
Thank you for that info, CCC :hello: .....I have looked and looked for any info suggesting the Osages might have been part of the KGC.
I know that some of the local Osages were members of the Masons---In fact I found a Masons coin in my mom and dads yard. Their house belonged to a full blood Osage and he was a member of the Masons. I think the Osages and other Indians probably enjoyed the 'ceremonies' and 'rituals' of such organizations.

cccalco

Jul 16, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
DAILY TIMES [LEAVENWORTH, KS], May 29, 1861, p. 2, c. 1

The Indians of Kansas.

We are informed by Mr. Ross, the agent of the Pottawotomies, that they heartily sympathize with their Great Father, in his efforts to subdue his rebellious and wayward Southern children, and have formed companies to aid, if necessary, in defending Kansas from any hostile or invading force. While this is undoubtedly true of the Pottawotomies, who are comparatively intelligent, there are other tribes in the State who may not be so thoroughly devoted to the Government. The Shawnees and Osages, especially, should be closely watched. We advise the agents of those Indians to ascertain, beyond question, whether they are disposed to be friendly to the Government. It may not be long before Kansas has to cope with the treacherous slaveholding savages of the Cherokee Nation, and we should therefore be certain that we have no enemy in our own midst. "

http://knights-of-the-golden-circle.blogspot.com/2011/04/indians-of-kansas.html

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: :D Look in OFFICIAL RECORDS - CSA Civil War; I also read that Gen. Watie was in charge of Native ppl (aka Indians)... REBELS in the "free" territories of the Mid-West, and SOME were even SR FreeMasons. ;D
:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: Coffee? :wink: Raining in Virginia at 10:38 am/est. :read2:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: NAW, wasn't "directed" at YOU; ONLY as CONFIRMATION that Stand Watie was CSA General. :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:
Coffee for ALL! ;D

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys--I just purchased an interesting book by Louis F. Burns called A History of the Osage People.....There is a section in the book discussing the Osage Indians during the Civil War.
Paraphrased Quote from the book: "Lincoln and the Union were slow to recognize the potential of the Osages in the war and slower still in using Indians as soldiers......The Lincoln administration abandoned the Indians in the West. The South was actively seeking Indian support. A.J. Dorn, a former Indian Agent, worked with Albert Pike the Confederate Indian Commissioner, and chaired a council and managed to persuade the Big Osages to sign a treaty with the Confederacy.....some of the Articles of the treaty promised no part of the Osage territory would ever become part of a state or territory nor will any state exercise any sovereignty over them. This indicates that the Confederacy intended to create either a series of semi-independent nations or a special Indian state." End quote.
I'm still reading---this is a fascinating book covering all of the Osage History....Looks like many of the Osage tribe were sympathetic to the Southern Cause. I have found no mention of the KGC yet, only that many of the Osages joined with the Confederacy.

There is actually a reason behind me wanting to know if the Osages were involved with the KGC. We found a site that seemed to have certain similarities with some of the KGC clues that I've read about in books and online. Well, this site used to belong to an Osage man but has since changed hands a couple of times. We were just trying to figure out if he(the Osage man) could have been involved with the Knights of the Golden Circle.......Its all purely speculation on my part of course, but then I was doing some research online and found that 'coded' photograph and became curious to see if anyone had heard whether or not the Osages were involved with organizations like that(and just in case anyone is wondering, the man in the photo is not who the land belonged to :D ).

I know a lot of stuff about the KGC is just hearsay but its always fun to speculate and see if anyone can confirm whether its actually true. My mom grew up in this part of Oklahoma(Osage county) during the 1940's/50's and used to hear many tales about the 'Copperheads'. She even remembers one old man who was something of a 'Sentinel' and seemed to be guarding a certain place.

Thanks!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D :icon_thumleft: TY, for "clarifying" that. What kind of "scholarly works" would YOU accept for KGC membership "lists"? MOST would NOT be known, except via access by MEMBERS; I am 32nd degree
SR FREEMASON, and can access memberships in Blue Lodge, Red Lodge, SR/SJ (A&ASR)... looking at minutes of meetings. NOT KGC; would be SECRETIVE, and NOT accessible to non-members. :D :wink: BTW, SWR... Gen. Watie's Cherokee names were STANDHOPE Oowatie and Degataga. "Google"... "Stand Watie - Freemason?" "Keetoowah Society & KGC" :wink: sc4... KEEP UP YOUR "GOOD WORK"! :icon_thumleft: :coffee2: Coffee? ;D

cccalco

Jul 16, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Rebel - KGC said:
:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D :icon_thumleft: TY, for "clarifying" that. What kind of "scholarly works" would YOU accept for KGC membership "lists"? MOST would NOT be known, except via access by MEMBERS; I am 32nd degree
SR FREEMASON, and can access memberships in Blue Lodge, Red Lodge, SR/SJ (A&ASR)... looking at minutes of meetings. NOT KGC; would be SECRETIVE, and NOT accessible to non-members. :D :wink: BTW, SWR... Gen. Watie's Cherokee names were STANDHOPE Oowatie and Degataga. "Google"... "Stand Watie - Freemason?" "Keetoowah Society & KGC" :wink: sc4... KEEP UP YOUR "GOOD WORK"! :icon_thumleft: :coffee2: Coffee? ;D

Are you Kituwah's son? Cherokee Nationalism and the Civil War
By Patrick Minges
http://www.us-data.org/us/minges/keetoo1.html

"The leader of the Knights of the Golden Circle was Stand Watie, a Freemason, and
members of the Knights of the Golden Circle included many of the elites of the
Cherokee Nation, John Rollin Ridge; Elias Boudinot; William Penn Adair; James
Bell -- all leaders of the Southern Rights party. [48]"

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D :D PICKY, PICKY, PICKY! Stand Watie WAS the "head" of the KGC - CHEROKEE NATION "branch"... via the Keetoowah Society. Unfortunately, taken out of context... it DOES appear to be the SUPREME Head or something. :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: Coffee? WARM MILK & cookies? :D :wink: AND!
What is a PEER REVIEW? ??? :dontknow:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:D Is THAT from US Gov't CONSPIRACIES"? VERY Anti-CONFEDERACY of YOU! Scholars... PFFFT! :laughing9: NO "white man" will ever understand Cherokee Nation "teachings" of history, "way of life", esoteric values, etc. SO! MYODB! :laughing9: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: WARM MILK & cookies? :wink:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:D Define "ENTITY of the Confederate States of America"; KGC PRECEDED CSA, "Confederate War", Sons of Liberty, "Copperheads", etc. It PROBABLY originated with the Thomas Jefferson-Aaron Burr Controversy in the "cloudy mists
of time" (early 1800's), in which Aaron Burr wanted his own SOUTHERN EMPIRE of "slave owning" plantations, etc. in the American SW, Mexico, Cuba, South America, etc. Even the Cherokee Nation had some slaves, prior to the "Confed-
erate War", and thus WERE trying to protect the "Southern way of life", as they understood the white man's preoccupation with SOUTHERN RIGHTS, etc. RESEARCH is STILL on-going re. the "cloudy mists of time"... AND!
TIME WILL TELL. Texas, eh? THIS is interesting... http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/vbk01 THEN! "Compare to"... AARON BURR, JAMES WILKINSON AND THE SOUTHWEST CONSPIRACY :D ("Google it") :coffee2: Warm Milk & cookies? :wink:

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
To coin a term, Gentlemen, unfortunately y'all are leaving the reservation!! :laughing9:

What do the coins held up turned as they are in the photo mean?? Is it KGC? Is it an Osage custom of some sort?? I have my feelers out but have not been able to make a contact that can tell me.
Really, this is one cool photo with a little mystery to it. Someone here has to know because the gesture in the photo is so obvious!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread