Coil and Waterproofing Recommendations

xterra50

Aug 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello,

I'm looking for some advice. I detect almost exclusively in wooded areas of the Northern US. but also want to hunt beaches and maybe shallow water (even in the wooded areas). I only have experience with my xterra 50 and its stock coil. Are DD coils a good tool and would you recommend one that you have experience with?

Also, to hunt in shallow water and submerge the coil and connection below the surface, does this require any other components be waterproofed besides the coil?

Thanks!!!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Double D, or widescan coils excel over mineralized soils. Concentric coils are deeper over netural soils. If you want to hunt shallow fresh water just put a heavy duty leaf/garbage bag over your coil and tie it off just below the control box. I do this on really wet/muddy mornings just to save me from having to clean up my coil after the hunt. Your single frequency VLF machine is not a good choice for saltwater, or wet saltwater sand, which is WAY too conductive. You'll need a multi-freq or pulse induction machine for salt water.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread