coil cover options

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take some sand paper and sand the inside lip down alittle on the coil cover then it will slip on and off without breaking it

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marine grade 2 part epoxy. Remove coil from your machine. Take the coil cover off and clean the coil. Take some fine grit sandpaper and give the coil a good going over to rough up the texture a bit. Mix up one "syringe" of the epoxy and use a small paintbrush to completely cover the bottom of the coil and about 1/2 up the sides. If you can, coat the coil connection all the way around which will not only water proof it but ensure it never comes out! The epoxy is very thick and is a pain to "paint" with but it really works well. Try to cover it all as best you can. It may look uneven or thicker in some spots, just do your best and then let it dry. Usually about on day. Once it is dry apply a second coat using another "syringe" of the epoxy. After another day it should be ready to use.

I was new to this procedure too until recently but one of the guys I hunt with (gravediggermax) showed me that almost all of his coils are done like this. I have done this now for two of my coils and and pretty happy with it. The advantages are that you don't have to worry about losing/breaking the coil cover or if you are hunting in sand (or even in the dirt) you run the chance of getting mineralized material or a small sliver of something that could play games with the coil and the signal and you'd have no idea. The only disadvantage is that it has to be re-applied periodically (1-2 times a year depending on how often you hunt) as it will wear of as you scrape the ground or hit rocks. Here are some pictures and as you can see...my excal needs another coat! I have been hunting in the rocks alot lately so it has been taking a beating!
20130307_145110.jpg 20130307_145117.jpg 20130307_145126.jpg 20130307_145152.jpg 20130307_145209.jpg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really? I guess I've been lucky. I've never broken one, worn one out, or had a problem of any kind with coil covers. What make and model are you using?

GPS53

May 17, 2009
Mercer county, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites, XLT & V3i, TRX Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next time you put on a new cover, get some clear silicone sealant, run a bead around all seams, nothing is going to get in there, haven`t had mine off in years, if you need to remove one, run a small knife around it and remove it.
HTH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread