Coil Cover or not?

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My coil cover does not seem to affect my at pro in depth.And the way i swing low i would rather replace a 12 dollar coil cover instead of a 125 dollar coil.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you keep the inside clean they have no effect.

OP
OP
S
Nov 16, 2014
Wausau, WI
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok thank you for the feedback. I was kind of thinking that the effect, if any, was minimal otherwise people wouldnt use them.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charlie P. (NY), makes an excellent point.
Last year I extensively hunted a long gone railroad. Some of the old coke, (burned coal), would react like "hot rocks". Over a few weeks of hunting, the dust got into coil cover and made detector erratic. So much so, I nearly sent it in for service. Then, I thought to remove cover. It was caked with a layer of coke dust. I cleaned it and all was good.
GL
Peace

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I don't use one. They get full of sand.

Never had any problem with coil damage, so I don't see the need for one.

And if anything did happen to my coil, I have a Tesoro lifetime warranty.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You never need one, until you need one. They do not affect depth or sensitivity. Granted, you do need clean them out once every few hunts so that nothing gets between them and the coil (but scotch tape around the seal can take care of that), and even if you have a lifetime warranty, using the coil without the scuff protector probably voids the warranty - and even if it doesn't, you're stuck not detecting until your new coil shows up because you didn't have enough sense to use a $12.00 scuff cover.

Want to sell that used detector down the road? A new looking coil sure does help get top dollar.. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• vvv 001.jpg
    vvv 001.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 438
  • lobo 007.jpg
    lobo 007.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 82

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would not use a detector without one personally. Does not seem to affect depth but rather suffer a slight lack in depth than replace a $400 plus coil on the Deus or even a $120 Garrett ACE coil as well.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Note to boatload - Tesoro most likely WILL NOT replace a coil on warranty that was damaged. Faulty, yes, damaged, no. I sent one in that had a crack that let moisture in causing falsing and they replaced it at cost, but not warranted.
luvsdux

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cover... worth it... remove and rinse after a few heavy uses

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lifetime warranties can sometimes add up to very little, use = wear = abuse because the wear/issue was allowed to continue, thus the machine wasn't maintained properly. Not saying this is always going to be the case but manufacturers simply can't continue to repair units over the long haul. As for coil covers, I always use one.

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It must depend on the coil, my 10 year old DFX has never had a cover on it, the stock coil is real solid feeling and does not feel hollow, it is nicked and scratched up, but still works great.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cover doesnt effect depth, I use one because I do a lot of road tearouts where there are huge chunks of bricks still laying around, Plus i do piles of dirt with lots of rocks and debris.

Its worth the 12 bucks.

i think there are alot of people that chime in saying that all these different things will effect depth, but I have no problems finding a rivit at 9+"s

Plus, dont let people tell you to always use fresh batteries..My ATP can run on 1 bar and Im still finding awesome things at great depth...I always run my batteries until it gives me the warning to change them...the Propointer on the other hand..ALWAYS needs fresh batteries..

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You never need one, until you need one. They do not affect depth or sensitivity. Granted, you do need clean them out once every few hunts so that nothing gets between them and the coil (but scotch tape around the seal can take care of that), and even if you have a lifetime warranty, using the coil without the scuff protector probably voids the warranty - and even if it doesn't, you're stuck not detecting until your new coil shows up because you didn't have enough sense to use a $12.00 scuff cover.

Want to sell that used detector down the road? A new looking coil sure does help get top dollar.. :thumbsup:

I haven't noted any visible wear on my Sand Shark coil. That Tesoro cover fits extremely tight - you are doing more damage to the coil by constantly removing and replacing it.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't noted any visible wear on my Sand Shark coil. That Tesoro cover fits extremely tight - you are doing more damage to the coil by constantly removing and replacing it.

That is your opinion, and is not based on fact. I remove it every five hunts or so for cleaning. I scrub the wet sand with my coil, and I want to keep it pristine so that when I sell it for a new one I will get top dollar. We disagree.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure of the Terrain in Wisconsin, but Im pretty certain it isnt the same as the gulf coast. I NEED to have a coil cover for my terrain, but I never remove it because there isnt any reason too.

If you are hunting lakes/beach or sandy areas, I could see where sand gets stuck between the coil and cover. If you are just hunting land, then get the cover and leave it be. I know the covers help me, because on my stock coil, ive actually worn thru it some

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree with the other members, coil covers are a must for protection, warranty issues, resale value and piece of mind. You do need to remove them periodically to remove dirt, rocks...etc. Sometimes they break when removing them for cleaning; I always have a spare for each of the coils. There is no decrease in depth or performance of a covered coil.

Last edited:

mark v

Mar 10, 2006
S.W. Pa.
Detector(s) used
Deus, CTX
I have had a cover on every coil I've ever owned over the years, about 12 or so, until now. I just got a Joey coil for my E Trac and no one sells covers for them. No one. So, I'll be finding out how well a coil holds up without a cover.

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I use coil covers on all my detectors. With the machine set properly, you really want to be "scrubbing" the ground and this will damage the coil eventually. With a coil cover no worries. I clean the coil cover on my Excal after every use. On the ATP it's not as important to clean every time as I am mostly going over grass and less sandy areas, but I do clean it.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mongo like coil cover!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions