Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Of course.....why would'nt you?

Waterbug

Jul 6, 2005
Iowa
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, XLT & GoldmasterV/SAT
Fisher 1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always used a cover on my coils.To prevent dirt,sand,etc from getting between coil and cover,just put a bead of silicone around the inside lip of the cover before snapping it on.The cover can be removed, if needed.

Sandancer

Jul 18, 2014
Myself I prefer to go without protection. Although risky it feels better and more satisfying.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have put over 1000 hours on different detectors and never ruined a coil. I keep my coil about 2" off the ground or beach and not any of my detectors show wear on the coil. By the time I wear out a coil I am ready for the next new detector on the market

Rick Dangerous

Sep 12, 2018
St. Albans, VT
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This whole time i thought coil covers were just for storage; never occurred to me to use while actually detecting! Makes sense now that i think about it... lol

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One Word, "Don't Leave Home Without It"!

Have only had one coil fail in over forty years. It failed at the cable's strain relief due to flexing the coil back and forth went putting the detector in the protective carrying bag.

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .:hello:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wore thru hunting sand rocks and coral because i was using without one - it fried my coil and was gonna cost me round $300 to replace
luckily I was a name when it happened and company did it for me for free
I had friends long ago that wore thru theres also on land machines - you get wet and mostly gonna fry it
or it will cause static and crackling - for the cost of a coil cover - its worth to get - you do not lose depth

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always used coil covers and always will. I have a couple of older detectors that don't have them but their manufacturers are out of business and I haven't been able to find any for them. So if I do use them I try to be very careful with them. Back in the old days most detector manufacturers recommended "scrubbing" the ground with your coils... and a lot of guys wore holes in their coils.

MD_DET_001

Greenie
Jan 6, 2021
Detector(s) used
White's Metal Detector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are coil covers necessary. What do the coils really need protection from?

Does the scuffing really cause long term damage?

I bought coil covers for all of my coils at the same time I bought my Detector setup.
I not only put the cover on, but also ran a very small bead of clear silicone around the edge of the cover to seal it up and prevent dirt or sand intrusion by the gap between the cover and the coil.

MD_DET_001

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wore through my sef 6x8 coil cover. I've used it without one for a year. I would much rather have one. I have searched pretty hard. Does anyone know where to get one???

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wore through my sef 6x8 coil cover. I've used it without one for a year. I would much rather have one. I have searched pretty hard. Does anyone know where to get one???

Call Detech in PA and see if they still sell it...

Phone Line 1: (724)-446-9433:
Phone Line 2: (724)-989-0341:
Hours: Monday – Friday 8am – 5pm

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call Detech in PA and see if they still sell it...

Phone Line 1: (724)-446-9433:
Phone Line 2: (724)-989-0341:
Hours: Monday – Friday 8am – 5pm

Thank you so much SD51. I called them but they were out but they put me on the trail to find one. I really appreciate it!!!

shovelready

Apr 21, 2015
s.w.washington
Detector(s) used
tesoro outlaw vaquero, anfibio multi, Makro pulse dive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have coil covers on my detectors, spend hard earned dollars for my detectors. Like to use my detectors but also try and take care of them.

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had never heard of coil covers until joining the forum over 5 years ago, still don't own a cover for any of my 7 coils and 3 detectors. Then again I only hunt grassy areas, and a very occasional crop field thrown in and no woods. Also I stay away from Rocky areas as I don't even care to dig through gravel I unexpectedly encounter under a thin layer of grass and dirt. All my coils only have slight scuff marks at most. Hand held pinpointer the same way, I don't use it to dig, pry, or drag back and forth through dirt and rock. Many say they need caps for those also, I wonder why and how come.

All About Tone

Greenie
Jan 3, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the beach, you need them, sand will wear through the coil. You need some sort of protection, doesn't have to be a cover.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had never heard of coil covers until joining the forum over 5 years ago, still don't own a cover for any of my 7 coils and 3 detectors. Then again I only hunt grassy areas, and a very occasional crop field thrown in and no woods. Also I stay away from Rocky areas as I don't even care to dig through gravel I unexpectedly encounter under a thin layer of grass and dirt. All my coils only have slight scuff marks at most. Hand held pinpointer the same way, I don't use it to dig, pry, or drag back and forth through dirt and rock. Many say they need caps for those also, I wonder why and how come.

ecmo, every coil I have ever purchased comes with a cover. Are you sure you don't have covers on your coils?

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ecmo, every coil I have ever purchased comes with a cover. Are you sure you don't have covers on your coils?
I'm fairly certain I would have recognized the obvious top edge of a cover. Have 4 coils for my Whites mx5, the stock 9 " spider coil, a 12" one, 10" double D, and a small 5.3" concentric coil. My mx sport only has the standard 10" double D, and my Macro racer 2 only has one coil, the standard stock 11x6" or whatever it is. I never ordered a cover for a one of them. I just don't go in rough, nasty places with them and knock them about.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread