Schrecky

Mar 14, 2006
NW, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, Minelab Excailbur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, they do protect the bottom of your coil well which I suppose if you detected a lot over rocky surfaces without one you would eventually wear it out. Coil covers can over time collect dirt (minerals) between the cover and the bottom of the coil. It is possible for this build up to effect your signal readings so if you are using a cover you should take it off from time to time and clean it out. I use to use coil covers but I switched to coating the bottom of my coils with epoxy. It does a great job and makes the coil a little lighter.

trashdude

Nov 21, 2007
Cocoa, Fl
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, XLT, QXT, Beach Hunter, Vibra-Tector 730
pdunc,

I use them on my DFX and XLT. I take them off about once a month to clean out the debris. Mine are plastic, light weight ones I ordered from Whites. They do protect the coil from getting scratched to pieces and after using them for a while, you don't really realise you're using it. I think I paid $4.00 a piece for them.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use them on my detectors. It helps the resale value if you can say you've always used one and the bottom of the coil is scratch free. I clean them out every once in a while, but I clean them out every time if I go to the beach.

HH!
TBGO

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
I use epoxy on all my coils. It is especially helpful on my excals where the fine sand will get under a coil cover within minutes of getting in the water no matter how you try to seal it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread