Schrecky

Mar 14, 2006
NW, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, Minelab Excailbur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason, I use epoxy. You just coat the bottom of the coil then you don't have to mess with a cover.

Mat in MA

Feb 8, 2008
Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver µMax, DetectorPro Head Hunter Wader, White's MXT, Garrett GTA500, White's Bullseye II pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here you go.

In this same forum, go down to the post dated Feb 18, 2008 titled:

"Epoxy on the coil,,,,safe? Saw the
topic here before but can't find it." by GUZZ1

I have a reply in that post along with a photo of the epoxy. Be sure you get the MARINE EPOXY. This stuff is used for boats and anything where you want to keep water out.

When you purchase the epoxy also buy some small utility brushes to apply it with. The brush is only about 1/2" wide with a metal (aluminum) handle 4" long. The entire brush is only 6" long. It's the same type of brush you would use to spread wood glue on projects, or a plumber would use to apply flux to a joint about to be soldered.

Remove the coil cover and use it for an ash tray, or anything else you want to use it for. You only want to use the epoxy on the coil bottom and sides. No need to coat the top as it won't scrape the ground. If it's the first time applying then put on one coat and let it dry for a few days. Then put on a second coat. Depending on how much you scrape the ground and where you detect that should be enough epoxy to last at least one year. The following spring put on another coat.

The epoxy will not affect the depth you get with your detector. I have expoxy on my Head Hunter Wader and Tesoro Silver µMax coils and they work just fine. No longer do I have to clean the sand out of the coil cover beacuse I don't use them.

Good luck and Happy Hunting!!!

OP
OP
SWFLA

SWFLA

Feb 12, 2008
Cape Coral FL
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark,
Whites Duel Field pi
Thanks for the info, I'm off to west marine to pick some up.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loctite Marine epoxy is what you want. Just coat the bottom and part way up the sides to protect the coil.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wally World (Walmart) also carries it................

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread