Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok heres the deal when I got my Tesoro Eldorado from a prospecting shop less than a month ago the salesman put a brand new coil cover on it ,but in doing so he cracked it an it has never fit all the way around properly which in turn everytime you go out it gets dirt ,sand,etc between the coil an cover..........now I have talked to a few an heard this is a common thing so how do I fix it ,do I keep buying covers or is there a good way to seal the coil ,I've heard about a few using rhino lining or such ,but does this interupt the coil pick up at all ,or does anyone have any ideas I figure a few bucks to cover my coil is alot better than buying a new coil long before I need to.

Reg

Aug 10, 2007
Pueblo, CO
Detector(s) used
White's TDI, TDI SL, GMT, GM 4, MXT, Tesoro LST, Lobo, Bandido, Vaquero, Sidewinder, Fisher GB 2, GB SE, F75 LTD Camo, Minelab SD 2200, XT18000, Discovery Goldtrax, Cointrax, and too many others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the idea of a rhino liner type coating. I will try it on a PI coil to see how it works.

As for the coil cover you have now, you can patch the cover if it is just cracked but you will need an old cover and some MEK or acetone. Take the old cover and cut part of it in small thin strips. Put these strips in a small glass container such as a baby food jar and add a little MEK so it covers the plastic. Let it stand for about 24 hours and it will turn into a slurry. Remove the cover from the coil. Paint some of this over the crack on both sides or on the outside of the cover to fill the crack on the cover. Too much on the inside may make it fit worse, so take care if you decide to coat that side also. Let dry for a few hours and then put it back on the coil. You might need a couple of coats. If that is the case, simply let the first coat set up and get reasonably solid before adding another coat.

Do not add the slurry to the cover while it is on the coil or you may never get it off. This slurry will bond the cover to the coil if added while on the coil. This slurry is quite similar to what is used to fuse the two coil halves together when making a coil.

Once it is repaired, you can then install it back on the coil and add tape around the edge to further hold the cover in place if necessary. Some of the ML dealers sell a white tape for this purpose of holding the cover in place and not letting dirt get between the two.

Personally, I have used just plastic tape on a temporary basis and it worked ok. I suspect a good 1/2" wide duct tape would work just as well.

Reg

OP
OP
Tank69

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds like an idea there Reg been thinkin myself about doing the Rhino lining myself an doing away with the cover just a lil parinoid an dont wanna ruin a coil

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a cover coil for a whites standard coil and it was always a little loose, but i wanted a cover so I used plastic wire ties to hold it on.

fccdfed

Reg

Aug 10, 2007
Pueblo, CO
Detector(s) used
White's TDI, TDI SL, GMT, GM 4, MXT, Tesoro LST, Lobo, Bandido, Vaquero, Sidewinder, Fisher GB 2, GB SE, F75 LTD Camo, Minelab SD 2200, XT18000, Discovery Goldtrax, Cointrax, and too many others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Tank,

There are a couple of things one can try to see if the material such as some of the various rhino type linings used will have a negative impact on a detector.

If the materials are not magnetic or conductive, then they shouldn't cause a problem. The other possibility would be if they build up static electricity. Now, that could cause some objectionable noise. Right now, I don't know that much about the various linings out there, but I did order some of the Dupli-color coating and will try it.

Coil housings are made out of ABS plastic so I will paint some on a piece of this plastic to see if the material is conductive or has any magnetic properties. If not, then I will check to see if the material easily generates any static. If it passes these tests, it should be ok. I will then coat a coil and see what happens. For me it is simple and cheap process even if it fails since I make my own PI coils and don't have that much money into them.

Reg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread