Coil Recommendation

swantek

Jul 29, 2012
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Cibola. The only problem I have with it, the coil wire on the machine side got pulled out of its mounting fixture. I've had it fixed before, but that was when we had good service from Tesoro. Since them I contacted the original guy that fixed my machine and he is retired. He did give me the number to call in Arizona. I've tried the number many times, left many messages with no response. I know we are all in the dark with Tesoro's future. I finally decided to buy another detector(non-Tesoro) or maybe try to salvage my Cibola by buying a new coil. Any recommendations on a coil beside the original? My hunts are mainly trashy areas. I wouldn't mind going with something for less trash area and more depth, since there may be a small chance of fixing the original coil.

Thanks.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your coil is bad? Did it come with the 11x8 widescan or 9x8 concentric?

Add add the 5" concentric, those are the best three must have coils for the Tesoro machines imho

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II ÎĽMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would stick with a stock 9x8 concentric on a Cibola, especially if trash isn’t too bad and you want decent depth. You can’t adjust the ground balance so I wouldn’t recommend a larger coil, and especially not a big aftermarket (you want adjustable GB for those). While it’s not my favorite model Tesoro, I found mine to be best suited for detecting parks with stock or smaller concentrics.

OP
OP
S

swantek

Jul 29, 2012
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coil is ok, just the wiring is messed up. It came with the standard 9x8.

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Coil is ok, just the wiring is messed up. It came with the standard 9x8.
Honestly probably the best all around option for it since they are not easily changed. But if you want it more specialized, I would go smaller and get the 5.75 concentric installed and focus on the trashy spots rather than larger. Other machines would likely be better suited for the wide open and deep.

OP
OP
S

swantek

Jul 29, 2012
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm going to get the 5.75 concentric for it. But for now I'm thinking of a new detector, the Deleon or the Tejon. But with the future of Tesoro being flaky at the moment, I'm being cautious.

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm going to get the 5.75 concentric for it. But for now I'm thinking of a new detector, the Deleon or the Tejon. But with the future of Tesoro being flaky at the moment, I'm being cautious.
I used a vaquero only, for 4 seasons. Loved it, learned it, dug thousands of holes. Now I moved up a little bit and it’s great. Tesoro’s are solid performers, but there are some others that are great too.

Kitz

Nov 12, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Golden Umax, Bandido II Umax, Sand Shark. DeepTech Vista X. Minelab Vanquish 540.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Much as it saddens me to say it, Tesoro is probably finished. So there's not a lot to be gained by buying a new machine with the warranty. But... you could buy a used machine in good condition. Most of my Tesoros have been used, and I haven't had a problem with any of them.

The Tejon and DeLeon are both good machines, but have somewhat different purposes. The Tejon is more flexible because of the manual ground balance and is a killer on jewelry and relics because of its 17KHz frequency. The DeLeon is better for areas with modern trash because the visual ID lets you cherry-pick if you want to. It has fixed ground balance, though, so isn't the best in mineralized soil. But if your Cibola was stable where you hunt, a DeLeon should do fine.

I'm happy to answer any questions you have about those models.

-Ken

Slim382ms

Feb 3, 2019
Southeast MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro TĂ©jon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could you post a picture of the damage? This could be a very simple repair for you if you have any soldering skills at all. I’ll be glad to walk you through it/ help you out in anyway that I can.
Oh, and by the way - if I were you I probably wouldn’t buy another Tesoro since you have a pretty good detector now. I recently added a manual ground balance to my Cibola and it runs right up there with my Tejon. Dynamite little detector!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread